Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative Uses for Your Serger? >

Creative Uses for Your Serger?

Creative Uses for Your Serger?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Swap Hosts

I'd love to see a tutorial for that process. Sounds wonderful.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM

I sew binding on front of quilts with serger, leaves a beautiful finished edge that makes turning the binding to the back smooth and easy to stitch.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Oh my a whole bunch. A zipper pencil or cosmetic cases, messenger bags, serge the edges of the quilt for stability then bind. Since I hate hand binding I use my binding attachment that I have for my serger, table runners.. You get the idea. You can use it for just about anything. There are some thing that only a sewing machine can do. That's why I have both :)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
I've heard of some who use it to serge around fabric before washing so that it doesn't fray as much. I know one teacher who does it to all of her quilts once done and waiting for her to get around to quilting it; she knows in an instant that the quilt is ready and not of some stage in between. I have an old serger (around 18yrs old) I haven't gotten it out since I started sewing again to see if it still works; that still on my to do list.
I used to do this, too. I didn't even unfold the fabric, just serged the ends as it came off the bolt. Then washed it and folded it for use. Much easier on my dryer. Here lately I've been waiting to was my fabric right before I use it, just because I have too much, so haven't gotten ahead on washing and sorting. I also use it on pillow cases to sew the inside seams. Much quicker than french seaming, and they dry in the dryer a lot quicker without all the bulk.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joivey
Does anyone knowabout a book put out by Babylock that is about Serger accessories? It is a hardback, loose leaf, workbook, but is $79 at the dealer?
Jo Ann
Is this the book? The review said she was able to get a pdf copy from the author for a small fee.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM

Elenor Burns had a show segment on quilting/piecing with a serger, looked easy, but never tried with mine. I used mine recently to sew chenille blocks together for a Linus Quilt, turned out nice and snuggly.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RedThread
Here are my beginner projects. At this point they have cost me about $300 each, not counting fabric!!!
Ohhhhhh so you got the GREAT serger type...not the $99 special. Well done RedThread on both the baby items and acquiring the GREAT serger.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM

I use my serger for making turtle neck cotton knit shirts and bathing suits for my granddaughter. I have also done heirloom sewing (baby clothes, nightgowns, etc.)on my serger. I use the serger for finishing seams and making rolled hems. In quilting, my only use of the serger is to serge the cut edges of fabric before I wash it. I love my serger and know you will really enjoy using yours. Congratulations!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM

This is wild one! You know there are tea bags. There are coffee bags also. I used to buy them so I could have a decent cup of coffee at work. I'm a coffee snob, so I started making my own coffee bags. The ones you buy have about 1/4 instant coffee in them. So I mix up my favorite blend (french roast or express blend, i.e. DARK) and add 1/4 instant. Then I buy the coffee filters that are shaped like a cone with a blunt end at the cone. I cut them down the center. I chain finish this cut, which leaves the top open. I fill the bag with my special blend, and serge across the top. Does this make me a red neck? I hope so!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

Look up Baby lock serger videos there are several showing how to make lace etc with the serger