Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cricut for fabric >

Cricut for fabric

Cricut for fabric

Old 08-29-2021, 03:51 PM
j50

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
Thanks for the info, I should have been more specific: I was wanting to use it for applique.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the Cricut would cut only the outside border of an applique. I would have to use scissors to make any interior cuts such as in the letters O, P, B etc.
When cutting fabric with interior cuts it is absolutely fabulous. I have done many intricate designs not just outlines. I also make paper cards and other 3d objects.

The blue image was cut on the Cricut maker and layered over yellow. The blue image is 3.5 inches by 2.5 inches. It was done with paper and may be too intricate for fabric but I would try it that size just because. I would use a use a fuseable backing. You can always enlarge the pattern. That is the beauty of using design space with a Cricut or any other type of software for designing svg's.

You can not make tiny letters. I would not make anything smaller than maybe an inch. I always do a mockup first with just plain copy paper so see the size and how small the cuts can be. The letters should not be to intricate.

I have a neighbor that designs the letters,applique and then transfers them to her embroidery machine and has the machine do the stitching. I am not that good and I don't want to be that good.

Happy to answer another questions any time.

Attached Thumbnails img_20210829_193656.jpeg  
Old 08-29-2021, 06:24 PM

Re: Kayak cut-put.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I would think the fabric needs a light fusible to stabilize it. Would the fabric blade work for the inside cuts too?

What model Cricut do you use?

Old 08-30-2021, 02:05 AM
j50

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
Re: Kayak cut-put.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I would think the fabric needs a light fusible to stabilize it. Would the fabric blade work for the inside cuts too?

What model Cricut do you use?
I have a Cricut maker. not the new one. no advantagae

If you are going to use cotton then fusible backing is good so the edges do not ravel unless it is a large piece and you are going to use a satin stitch backing may not be necessary.

As I said before you have to use the PINK mat and I have learned to use the press and seal then lay material on top if I am going to use felt so the mat does not get full of threads and fuzz. Also do not use a scraper on the pink mat. Different adhesive than on the blue and green mat.

Yes the Cricut Maker does cut the inside also . The blade is like a rotary cutter and is lifted up with each cut. It does more than just one continuous line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmzS0Y2SCg- go to this web site and go to 6:05 minutes and you can see how the blade cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_xgMW_FIMQ-- good tips for fabric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYZuUxp0JlQ-start at 4:20 for actual cutting. 9:25 for reveal.
This is not fuzzy felt, some are and leave a real mess that is why I use the Press and Seal then lay fabric on top.

Lots of how to videos on Tube. I watched many before I invested in this. Also wanted to make sure I could do the designing aspect with Design Space. You can actually use design space and not purchase the machine. I downloaded the program from the Cricut site and used it. Not a bad learning curve if you have used other editing programs. I would suggest trying before buying. You can do everything but cut.

Hope this helps