Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cricut >

Cricut

Cricut

Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Cricut

Has anyone here got a cricut machine? If so, how much do you actually use it? I have been thinking about getting one (and watching the recent episodes on Sewing Quarter where they have demoed it hasn’t helped!).

I’m just worried that I won’t actually use it enough to warrant spending all that money (a bit like the sizzix a few years ago I need to donate).

All experiences welcome.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:24 AM

[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
Has anyone here got a cricut machine? If so, how much do you actually use it? I have been thinking about getting one (and watching the recent episodes on Sewing Quarter where they have demoed it hasn’t helped!).

I’m just worried that I won’t actually use it enough to warrant spending all that money (a bit like the sizzix a few years ago I need to donate).

All experiences welcome.

My granddaughter has one . When watching her use it one day for some kind of craft she does, cutting out letters that she adheres to T-shirts, I said I heard you can cut fabric with that machine and she said, yeah, but you have to have a special attachment . I didn't pursue the conversation but I do know that it's possible . I will watch this thread for other replies .

Last edited by rvsfan; 10-26-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:53 AM
j50

My neighbor has the new one circuit maker which comes with a special wheel cutter, just like a rotary blade and it does a fabulous job of cutting any kind of fabric. The fabric does not need to have any backing.

I am looking into getting one and will probably get the cricut maker . I did look into the scan n cut and all of their videos. I was not thrilled that fabric did not cut very well since I would use it primarily for fabric. If you do your own designing you can now do it off line.
Keep us posted with your decision.
Look at tube you will see a lot of good info on the cricut maker.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:48 AM

I will predominantly be using it for fabric and as you say you no longer need to have any special attachments. I was wondering if anyone had found other sources of cutting files rather than just cricut themselves.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:32 AM

I rarely use mine any more but that doesn't mean I won't go through a streak of OCD where it will get used. My SIL uses her's all the time. I have had mine for about 10 years easily now. Mine does not do fabric the newer machine does. I have been looking at die cutters lately and am looking at the Accucutter. For a few years I was using it all the time for paper crafting. Now I am so caught up in my quilting I have had little time for my paper crafting.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:14 PM

I have a Cricut Maker but do not use it to cut fabric. It takes too long and is too involved using design space to get just a small amount of fabric cut. Also a lot of the fabric projects in design space can be cut faster by hand than by machine. I use mine for crafting with paper and vinyl. If you want to cut fabric for quilts I would suggest you research die cut machines. (Just my opinion.)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:24 PM

I don't have any kind of cutting machine. My guild did a program awhile back on several of the machines, which was really helpful. If you're seriously thinking about this, I would check out all of the cutting machines. I know a few people who like the Go machine. It just seems like a lot of money to me.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:08 PM

My question to you is, what do you plan to make with it if you do get it?

I have looked at it and chose the Accuquilt Go. I wanted it for strips, hexagons, and apple core. But then there was the Double Wedding ring and the list goes on. They added embroidery to go with their shapes and I have been hooked. I love my embroidery machine and I love to make quilts so I it was a match made in heaven. A friend of mine also uses my machine - she buys the dies she wants if I don't already have it.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:35 AM

I used and Accuguilt Go at my fall quilt retreat and it was such a time saver. I was making flying geese by the hundreds and having the triangles consistently cut exactly the same was a pleasure. But, did I rush out to by my own? Not a chance! I know my own style of quilt making and I just would not use it often enough to warrant the cost of the unit and dies. I still enjoy the process of measuring and cutting my pieces.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:10 AM

After doing a lot of research, I purchased a Sizzix Big Shot Plus. I absolutely love it. It easily and accurately cuts through 8 layers of cotton fabric. Sizzix offers a variety of dies, but the ones I use the most are the 4-1/2" strip; 2-1/2" strip; 4-1/2" square; 4-1/2" two piece triangle; and 4-1/2" four piece triangle; and 1-1/2" strip. There are dies for appliques too, but I don't usually do that. I chose the Sizzix over the Accuquilt because:
1. the Sizzix system and dies are cheaper (i.e. the 1-1/2" strip dies on Amazon - Accuquilt = $102.50; Sizzix = $44.88)
2. the Sizzix cutter can use Accuquilt Go dies, but the Accuquilt is limited to only their dies.