Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crochet over bottle caps >

Crochet over bottle caps

Crochet over bottle caps

Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Why use the bottle caps? Seems like they would wear on the fabric, and you would have to wait to collect enough to make something. Great idea for scraps though. Those collect faster than you can turn around.
my grand mother made the grape ones and i still have part of one she passed when i was 17 that is many years ago and my mother used it almost every day
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM

I made some of these years ago using craft batting and just circles of fabric. Made the circles of fabric and batting a little smaller than the cover fabric, sewed them yo-yo style then sewed them together in squares, rectangles, grapes, do some green for grape leaves, or whatever design you want them to be then i cut felt pieces in the shape of the design and glued it to the bottom of the hot pad. They really do look nice, are very functional and last a long time. Make nice gifts too. :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM

This really brought back memories. My grandmother made quite a few of these for table hot pads or trivets. They held up very well as I remember. I wonder, though, how you would go about cleaning them with the metal caps inside. Someone wondered about using the plastic milk bottle tops, but I wonder if they would melt from a hot casserole dish. It looks to me like small yo-yos would be a perfect substitute for crochet.