Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crooked panel

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Crooked panel

Help! I have a beautiful panel that isn't straight up and down. It bows at the top and bottom. Is there a way to correct that or do I have to force it to be straight by cutting off some of the beautiful borders?
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING... (Borrowed from Airwick156 :-)

Blog Entries
    Have you tried tugging it on the bias to get it back to straight again? That may be your problem. tug on opposite corners diagonally.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
    I went in there an tugged on it every which way I could and it's still the same. I think it was printed crooked. :-( Thanks for trying.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING... (Borrowed from Airwick156 :-)

Power Poster
    Turn it over and look at how it's printed. Does the print follow the threads like it should?

If it's printed crooked - I would wash and dry it - see how it wants to go - and then if it is crooked, trim it as well as I could and deal with it that way.

If it is printed crooked - you have two choices:

Work with it the way it is - everything will be off-grain
    Trim it so that the edges are on-grain - you will probably lose part of the panel - some people reframe it with washings and make it look like it was intentional.

can you block it
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I'd stretch it however it needs to go and quilt. It should be alright.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    can you block it
    If it is printed crooked - blocking might straighten the grain - but it will still be printed crooked.

Every panel I've ever been given or bought has been crooked.
    Never buy them any more cuz of that.

Turned it over and the grain doesn't go with the printing. I'll try washing it. :-) It's a Wilmington print. I have a Robert Kaufman panel and it's fine.
    Last edited by marcycn; 05-05-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Power Poster
    Pre-printed panels are always off in my opinion. I try to buy ones without borders so it isn't as noticable. Cut off your borders, add a co-ordinating coloured fabric small border then cut up the border fabric and add it as the last border in pieced blocks.

If you look along the selvedge you will be able to see if the fabric was printed crooked on the grainline. If it is, I'm sorry to say that there is nothing you can do. Grainlines can usually be straightened if they are crooked, but if something is printed on the grainline crooked, you can't change it.

You can try washing and blocking it to see if it would dry straight...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I generally surround it with a border that fits the panel (same value, similar pattern, etc.). Then I trim the whole thing to be squared. By the time you add the other borders, you'll never notice.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I bought a panel. It's crooked also. I'm thinking triangles to camo the crookedness. You could use a Dresden template like the Dresden coin quilt Jenny Doan has a video on. See what your different templates would do to camouflage the crookedness.

Well, I washed it, dried it, ironed it while tugging and it looks like I'll be able to use it - won't be perfect but I'm not going to waste it. :-) Thanks everyone.

This is the panel. It's not the one I have - it's off fabric.com. It looks just fine here. :-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The picture looks cropped. The outer border fabric should be easy to match if you want to follow my suggestion from earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    The picture looks cropped. The outer border fabric should be easy to match if you want to follow my suggestion from earlier.
    That is a picture off Fabric.com, not what it actually looks like. The border is not all even - badly cut. And if I try to cut down the brown edge it isn't straight. Unless I'm not getting what you mean. :-(

I don't know if this idea might work, I have never tried it, but if I were in your shoes I think I would give it a go.

Could you iron the panel onto a piece of lightweight interfacing so that it holds the shape you want and then it shouldn't matter if the fabric is off-grain.

I agree with Tartan. We can put a man on the moon but they can't seem to print square blocks or panels. I had to add a small border to square up these printed squares from Elizabeth's Studio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Unfortunately, I have found that most panels are printed crooked, some more than others.

I don't worry about fabric grain too much - I pre wash everything so I have minimal shrinkage so it doesn't seem to be a big issue. I try to keep things straight but when stripes aren't printed on grain I follow the pattern and not the grain and it doesn't seem to matter once it's all put together and quilted. Just have to handle them as little as possible until they're sewn because off-grain pieces fray so much more.

Have you tried to steam it out? When I have too much fullness in a quilt, I get my steam iron out and try to shrink it back into shape. Most times it works for me. Another suggestion might be to get it wet, lay it out flat and block it, see if that will bring it back to shape.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Can you cut off the borders, square up the panel, then reattach the borders?

Wet it thoroughly and then pin it to a flat surface (carpet or tape to a sooth floor). Let it dry. That usually works for me, at least enough that I can use them. Love panels!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast