Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cross hatching stitch....

Blog Entries

Question Cross hatching stitch....

I am trying to decide on what if any rulers to buy so I can try my hand at doing the cross hatch and curved cross hatch stitch on some quilts. MY QUESTION iS... What rulers or items would you recommend d??? Help

I use an 8 1/2" x 24 1/2" Creative Grids ruler. Make the 8" mark first, then work back down the numbers. I've never tried a curved cross hatch. So have you seen a tute on this or a sample somewhere?

Blog Entries

I use a stencil for crosshatch, not a ruler. I get my stencils from stensource.com
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I use blue painters tape (as was recommended here) and my regular 8"x24" inch ruler.

I have a 5 foot T that I picked up at a garage sale - between that and using a yard stick, I can usually get my line marked. I use it to mark my first line and then I use my quilting bar set to whatever distance I want the lines to be apart and then stitch away. When I finish going one way, I mark my line going the other way and then I'm off stitching again.

Blog Entries
    http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html scroll down and click on curved cross hatch stitching to see diagrams on ways to do that. lots of info on different stitching in this blog. great!!!

Blog Entries
    Are you refering to grid work on a LAM or DHM, and just need a ruler for marking a quilt? With more info we can give you a better response.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I had the exact same question - are you hand quilting or longarming?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    All you need for cross hatching is a straight ruler - and a curved ruler with 1/4" line for curved cross hatching. It's super simple but extremely effective! I do both on my long arm AND my regular domestic home sewing machine. I mark lines on the quilt for both with the rulers...with the long arm I need to use the ruler for curves but on the sewing machine I just free hand it over the pre-drawn lines.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Blog Entries
    I mark first row then use my walking foot to keep distance..I have had a thought while reading other replies for marking. A first line with a normal ruler and additional lines with the square ruler with slits in.( forgot or never knew name).
    Do other people cross hatch before the applique or do the block. I hate the stop start when applique is present.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I...Do other people cross hatch before the applique or do the block. I hate the stop start when applique is present.
    I do too, Dotty. On this QAYG king size quilt, I stitched the cross hatch and then did the applique. Worked out fine.

Name:  patientstarsdetail.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  67.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
    I use blue painters tape (as was recommended here) and my regular 8"x24" inch ruler.
    This is what I do too! Works great!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Don't use rulers. Get that blue painters tape and line up the tape and stitch right along side it. And don't put the tape all over the piece - you can move it several times before it picks up too much fuzz to stay stuck. You can get it in different widths, depending on how wide you want your cross hatching.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
    I've also used masking tape, and it's a little less expensive. I only put it on when about to stitch a line, and afterwards take it off right away.