Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cross Stitched Pictures in a Quilt >

Cross Stitched Pictures in a Quilt

Cross Stitched Pictures in a Quilt

Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 AM

I recently finished a wall hanging using cross stitched pictures. They are beaded and are approximately 6 1/2 inches square. Because of the beading they are heavier than most cross stitched pictures. I wish that I had used fusible batting instead of regular batting. I agree with the suggestion of using fusible interfacing. I have included pictures of the wall hanging.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166488.jpe   attachment-166489.jpe   attachment-166490.jpe  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Phyllis used cross stitch patterns that she made which had quilts in each picture to make her first quilt. It is what we have used as a beadspread for the past 20 years. She also made pillow cases with them to lay n the bed as decoration. We do not wash it but have it dry cleaned. I say use them as they work very well for quilts.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM

if they are on Aida cloth, I have used a lite wt fusable on the back to help anchor the stitches.... and used as blocks on a quilt... On regular embroidery blocks , I have added just like any other fabric... I have quilts my grandmother embroidered when I was a child that my gks are still loving on today......
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 AM

WE made a quilt for my parents and every family crossed stitched blocks to represent their family and we added other crossed stitched blocks to represent them. The quilt is about 40 years old and is doing fine. My parents have passed but we still have the memories and the quilt. I w given the blocks and asked to put them in a quilt. We gathered at my sister's house for the weekend and somehow I came up with a plan and put the quilt together. My sister was so impressed with the result that she registered it with the quilt historical society here in Illinois. I did bind the cross stitch blocks before adding them to the quilt. It worked well.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Those are beautiful quilts. Now I have something else added to my bucket list. Has anyone here ever washed a quilt like this? My concern is that the colors would bleed.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM

I cross stitch as well and have used my pieces in wallhangings. Never had a problem with washing.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM

DMC and Anchor are fine and don't bleed. Overdyed threads can sometimes be a problem. In any case I suggest that you hand wash any cross stitched pieces separately before putting them into a quilt. This is vital if the fabric is linen as it shrinks alot the first time you wash it.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 AM

I do this all of the time. They turn out great.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 AM

thanks all - I really have enjoyed seeing all the quilting/x-stitch treasures posted here.

I'm going to pull my completed x-stitch pics out and see if I can choose a little one to make something with.

I really enjoyed my years of x-stitching; really wish I was able to still do it.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 AM

I have done a lot of cross stitch in the past and have used many as pillows or in a wallhanging.
I would not recommend in a quilt that is to be used and washed a lot as I don't feel the stitching would hold up and I am very much opposed to putting a fusible interfacing on the back because as time goes on it will turn your cloth an aged brown tone.
Consider using them in pillows or as wallhandings framed with fabrics/
Good luck