Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crumbs/Scraps sizes >

Crumbs/Scraps sizes

Crumbs/Scraps sizes

Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 PM

I keep almost everything that's at least 1" wide. Some classic patterns such as log cabin blocks for small projects eat these up quickly. What I don't use for small projects I use as leaders and enders, especially for chain or triangle piecing. However, I do have a friend who donates anything smaller than 21/2" to the quilters who volunteer for The Children's Cabinet, and then another friend who "Oh, Horror" never keeps leftovers. She tosses them. Ah well, to each her own.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 PM

I'd save them - I'm saving smaller scraps then that and some of them I will probably use in a mini quilt for my cats lol. I also think I recognize that red and white polka dot - it's part of the quilt I'm working on right now
Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 AM

I don't throw any of it away, I have found uses for all of it and I enjoy knowing I am not throwing away something that is useful. If it isn't useful for a person they can pass it on to someone that can use it as you say
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Power Poster

I am cutting a lot of mine into 2" strips to use for a scrappy string or a scrappy log cabin.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 AM

I would love to have my name on the "I would love to have them" list. My rule is if I can sew 1/4" on 4 sides and still see the fabric, it is NOT too small lol. Crumb blocks are my therapy, when my cancer diagnosis gets to me, and I need a pity party, I go sit at my machine with some music and sew blocks. After a little while, I am at peace again, and ready to get back into my life and keep on marching.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Crumbs are so much fun.......I am working on a stack now...it is a great no brainier..if you just want to sew without any direction...this is the way to go......this is my final step with scraps...what gets trimmed from these goes in the bag for the doggy beds for the local vet clinic.......
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I would save those pieces. If you don't want to deal with them, put them in a bag and offer them to someone. I think it is quite all right to ask for postage to mail them.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM

I have used very small pieces cut in HST shapes and glued them to note cards to look like quilt blocks so even the smallest things can be used. I am sure someone will want them. Another idea I have tried once was to take the slivers of fabric that are trimmed off when squaring up blocks, sort them by colors (sort of) and then arrange them on a piece of muslin in a nice arrangement. (i.e. blue slivers at top for sky, green slivers at bottom for grass) Then cut out some black silhouette shapes of something you like (cats- horses- flowers houses) and place over the slivers.Place a piece of very fine netting over the whole thing and then randomly sew it all over to hold everything in place. Put a binding on and Voila...you have a wall hanging work of art.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM

I never pitch ANY size of fabric, the pieces that are too small to "mess" with, I put in a plastic bag and they will go for pet beds for our local humane society, pieces of batting also go in the same bag, a pillowcase will also work, when full, just sew the open end closed and donate to your local humane society or pet shelter.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 AM

Your idea to gift your scraps to someone on the board inspired me. While I make a lot of "crumbs" I don't like scraps that don't already have a seam sewn in them. (I do a lot of strip sewing and always use the cut offs for my crumbs). So now I'm saving a bag of scraps that I won't use and will gift them when the bag is full.