Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious About Care Instructions >

Curious About Care Instructions

Curious About Care Instructions

Old 03-08-2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bardy View Post
Thank all of you who answered my post. I noticed, Cindi, that one of your labels says not to dry clean. I'm not familiar with the reasons for not dry cleaning.

The Memory Quilt that I am making will be hung and the photos, which have been printed by Spoonflower, This quilt is to be passed on the a grandson and I'm concerned that there will be no instructions passed on to him. I normally just add a card but cards may be misplaced or thrown away.I believed it could be dry cleaned. Please give me more information regarding "Dry Cleanin".
I have never recommended dry cleaning (except one quilt) as the solvents that are used can prematurely deteriorate the cotton fabrics and threads. I also don’t want anyone exposed to needless chemicals since cotton fabrics can be easily washed with regular detergents.

If you are planning to recommend dry cleaning, please heed these instructions directly from the Spoonflower website for your photo pictures: “Dry cleaning your products is fine, but ask the cleaner if they use the solvent perchloroethylene, also known as 'perc'. The pigment printing on our products will not survive the battle with this chemical.”

That said, I have advised my niece to have her memory quilt dry cleaned as it is filled with fabrics from her mothers wedding dress. I have already warned her about the chemical to ask about before turning it over to any dry cleaner.

Last edited by cindi; 03-08-2022 at 02:40 PM.