Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curved Seams >

Curved Seams

Curved Seams

Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM

When I did more curved seams I tried with concave on top, then on bottom. It didn't make much difference. Just be consistent. I only pinned at the half way mark so both pieces lined up there. I did keep a finger between the two fabrics to be able to adjust them as I sewed. Then I used those angle pointed sewing tweezers [?] to hold the ends together when I got near the end of the sewing.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM
joy

I have made three quilt tops with drunkard path pattern... they were about five inch blocks... and I used seven pins... so easy with pins... and all of them were sewed by hand,..,. before pinning just mark the quarter inch seam on each piece, fold each piece in half and press with fingers, then place the two pieces together where the marks are and pin, then pin each end... then put two pins in each place between the middle and end pin... works like a charm... and I found it much easier sewing by hand... tried using the machine but it was useless...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM

I just did a set of 16 using the pinless method. I found that I needed to finger press the centers, just to keep me on track. You are all correct, this is not a block that can be sewn fast, but I think I prefer it to hand piecing. (I did some of that earlier.) I think AliKat is right -- choose a method and be consistent!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I was at a drunkard's path workshop last week with Ebony Love who did this video. Everyone did a practice block before sewing on our good stuff, and I know that all the ladies around me had success right from the start. I think it is easier as she says if you have needle down and a hands free presser foot lifter (I don't!) but if you take your time it works fine. The tricky part for me is that last 3/4 inch - the tweezers really help. I tried pinning some blocks when I got home, and found that I could sew them faster, but every now and then would get a little pleat. I'm going to keep practicing without pins, but will pin when I'm really tired, haha.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM

I agree. Also, hold the top piece up as you sew rather than against the fabric. I had the Curvemaster foot and that is how they say to do it. I found out I didn't need the special foot...my regular presser foot works fine.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It goes easier if you put the convex piece on top of the concave piece and ease in the fullness as you sew.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM

i used my glue stick...then sewed...worked great!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Sorry that foot doesn't work for you. I bought one for a DWRing and thought it was terrific. I watched the video repeatedly and made sure to hold the top fabric at the angle they showed. For me, the job went way faster using the Curvemaster.