Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting blocks for Baltimore style applique quilts >

Cutting blocks for Baltimore style applique quilts

Cutting blocks for Baltimore style applique quilts

Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Cutting blocks for Baltimore style applique quilts

Hi all-

Need some help getting started on my first Baltimore style album quilt. It's the "Mi Amor" pattern, and I have the book and templates etc. and joined a BOTM club. The fabric for my first block has just arrived, so I'm excited to get started.

I've basically only done pieced work before, so not quite sure what the best way is to approach the blocks for this quilt which are mostly applique and embroidery.

Do you typically cut the background fabric for the quilt to the finished size from the outset? Or do you recommend cutting the block a bit larger, doing all the applique, and then cutting them to the finished size once all the applique work is done?

My grandma used to do a lot of smaller embroidered blocks for some of her quilts and she'd always sew the blocks to scraps of muslin while she worked the patterns so they'd be big enough to keep fully stretched in her hoop. Then she'd cut them down to size. The finished blocks for this quilt are 17"x17" so I'm not sure that would be necessary, but wondered what others have done.

I'm excited to get started. I'm planning/hoping to finish this one up in time for my parent's 40th Anniversary in a couple of years..... here's hoping!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM

Honestly I would cut them slightly larger because sometimes the actual applique can pull up the fabric a bit depending on where and how much applique is in each block. But I've never used hoops to applique.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I would cut *at minimum* an inch larger. The larger the block, the more it can get drawn up or distorted as you embroider and applique so, if you have enough fabric, it wouldn't hurt to cut them up to 20" square to start out with. Wait until you are finished to cut them to size.

It always better to start out with too much background fabric in a block than too little!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Nate,
I wait to see your Baltimore Album quilt with excitement. It's cool you are getting back into quilting and have joined the quilting board (again??); we need more male quilters here! Share some of your work?

Jan in VA
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 AM

I have seen that book and am in awe - I have considered buying it and the only reason I didn't is because I really should do the ones I already have. I am currently doing Affairs of the heart and instructions for cutting the block background state to make it larger as it may shrink oce you have the applique stitched on.
Would love to see your progress on this one !
Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Definitely cut larger, then after all applique is finished & block pressed ( I would wait until all blocks are appliqued then trim them all- some will draw up more than others) when you trim them Do Not trim them to Finished size! Remember you still need seam allowance for joining the blocks, so trim, square up to 17 1/2" . please show us your progress as you proceed, I have been watching this ( book) for sometime.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 AM

Thanks all! Appreciate the help. I'll try and post some photos as I make progress!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I always cut my background blocks about 1/2" larger and then after the applique is finished, I starch it and trim it down to the correct size. Be sure to look closely at the pattern so you will know what to applique first and which you do last.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:12 PM

I know i'm repeating the others...but with a Baltimore block i would probably go 1" larger if you have the fabric to spare. There is a lot of applique on most of them...and that does tend to "shrink" the background fabric.
Welcome to the Board from a PA ex-patriot !!!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:12 PM

welcome Nate, that is a gorgeous quilt.
If you haven't appliqued before there is a learning curve and a skill curve

I think the three main styles which will all get you to the same place are
back basting, starch and press (my favorite) and needle turn
I'm sure there are thousands of youtubes. Practice! And share progress please!