Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Blocks >

Cutting Blocks

Cutting Blocks

Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Smile Cutting Blocks

You know, I'm sitting here at my sewing area cutting blocks on my self healing cutting board that turns. A few months back, all I could think about was getting one of those block cutters. That "go something"... Now it seems very relaxing when the families in bed and I am up cutting squares planning how my quilt will look... I like cutting blocks and listening to music.

JennC
Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 PM

I love my GO cutter because I can cut out entire quilt in an hour or so. I like how each piece is the same. But I also still use a ruler and rotary cutter when I don't have as many to do. And I have the June Taylor Shape cutter because it is so much easier to cut the different widths. Like you I love to do my cutting when everyone else is either not at home or in another room - less mistakes.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

I have a Go! Baby but I only use it for cutting scraps up. I actually like cutting with a rotary cutter and ruler.

Cari
Old 10-02-2018, 04:14 AM

I got the Go cutter when I first started quilting and couldn't seem to make anything square and was sure I would chop off a finger in trying.
I still think it is great for curved pieces and appliques where you will use the same shape many times, otherwise it sits unuse a lot and I also kind of like cutting out my quilt now. I'm not in a big rush to burn through all my fabric anyway.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:16 AM

I. Love my GO for strips but still cut most things with my rotary cutter.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I have the Go as well but it seems that every quilt I make doesn't use those blocks! I don't have a lot of the dies. I've had it a year and have only used it a couple of times so far. But I like it. I'm not the best cutter and when I've used it my blocks work up more accurately.
One of these days I'm going to cut a bunch of 5 inch squares and things like that with it.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:24 AM

I kind of enjoy cutting block pieces, too. A good sharp blade and a turntable mat and all is good. Oh, add some iced coffee.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 AM

I started out buying precut blocks as I was afraid of messing up cutting my own. I have tons of all size square rulers now and three cutting boards. I'll probably end up getting a cutter one day too but for now...

I also discovered that little seam tool [h=2]Fons & Porter Quarter Inch Seam Markers.[/h]

That thing is amazing.. I followed the directions enclosed with it and made perfect triangles of different colors. Love it. It helps make awesome looking baby quilts.

My next thing I want to master is stars..