Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting circles

Cutting circles

Do any of you use the Olfa cutter to cut circles? If you do is it worth the money?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I fold the material and use a 6" compass like we used to use in school. You can use a template if you want or make your own. Just fold a piece of paper in half. Tie a string to one end of a needle or nail or whatever and the other end to a pencil but measure the length of how large you want the diameter. That's how I do it. I've made circles as big as 4' across.

Yes it sure is worth every penny! I love mine. I also have the big easy circle cutter guide plastic template (the one with the grooves you cut through, and it also is a life saver. I suppose it is only worth it is you will be cutting lots of circles out, but, I love having a perfect circle and these sure work great.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I bought this at Joanns with coupon it was reasonable and works great.

If I remember right, the Olfa cutter wouldn't cut circles as large as I wanted, so it wouldn't be worth it to me. I have the EZ Circle cutter, and I even wanted circles larger than that at times. But the EZ circle cutter works well.

That is all nice to know - good for future reference!

An upside down plate works great as a circle template!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I do super easy. I bought the circle dies for the Go.
    Got fabric?

Thanks all.

Blog Entries
    I have the ruler with slots but tend to use a pencil and cut with scissors. my smaller rotary cutter is used mainly to rip out stitches I'm afraid.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I like the Olfa Circle Cutter. What to buy will depend on what you plan to make. For smaller circles, the Olfa is great. I cut out about 40 "bubbles" in about 10 minutes for a fish quilt. It would have taken much longer to cut one at a time. The other circle cutter shown above looks like it would be handy for larger circles.

I have the Easy Circle Cut and use it a lot. It will make circles 2 to 10". Use it for more than just quilting. Got it at JoAnns using one of their coupons.

I have both the circle cutter and the easy circle cut, but the last time I needed a circle in a hurry, I grabbed the cardboard from the frozen pizza I had popped in the oven earlier that day. Go figure!

I have both the circle cutter and the easy circle cut but the last few times I needed a circle I used one of my plates -- they are the between sizes for the easy circle cut and more pleasing for me. When I use the circle cutter, I find I need to really starch the fabric I am going to cut otherwise it wiggles.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I've use Olfa and EZ and anything else that gets the job done.

Blog Entries
    I use the old fashion method of a pin, string, and pencil. I also cut the circles out with scissors. Lol
    Sewflower

Blog Entries
    The Olfa circle cutter will cut circles up to 8 1/2". I have it and love it! So quick, you can cut out a circle in less than 10 seconds.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I do super easy. I bought the circle dies for the Go.
    Hehehe....me, too. I love how fast I can cut tons of circles....
    And if I ever find I need larger....go for the dinner plate!!!!

Worth every penny cuts perfect circles BUT has an 8.5" limit. Nancy's Notions has a circle compass that slides on a yardstick (http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ick+compass.do). The NN compass can cut a radius as big as the yardstick to which it's attached. It's about $9. I got it on EBAY for 5. Joann's has the olfa cutter and with a coupon the price is reasonable as is EBAY for that. Have fun with your roundabout .

FLQ
    I'm a circle-holic so I have, or have done, all mentioned here. The go cutter is great if you use lots of dies, etc. the templates are flexible for varying sizes and the easy circle cutting ruler makes quick work of multiple layers of fabric...a plate could be useful for multiple layers too. I think tools are wonderful if they make a job go quickly (and accurately) and if the cost/benefit is within reason. I just bought a curved ruler thingy at a show and I think maybe I spent too much on this impulse buy. The demo seemed easy but now I wonder how many curvaceous applications I will have in my future quilts.

I love my circle cutter from Olfa. If I need a circle larger I also have the circle ruler. When my mother decided to do a yo-yo quilt, the cutter was a life saver as I cut over 1000 circles for her.

Blog Entries
    I love my Olfa circle cutter. I had to practice a little to get the hang of it. Once I got used to it, it was life saver. It does limit the size of circles you can cut. Usually if I need bigger circles I dont need many so I just use a scissors for those.

The olfa cutter is great, I also love my go.

I have the EZ cutter and love it.

I have the EZ that I have used very little, however it is good for what I used it for. I ordered the circle tool from Nancy's Notions and it is so much easier and comes out perfect. I will be using this one from now on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast