Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Fabric, AccuQuilt, Simplicity, or manual rotary? >

Cutting Fabric, AccuQuilt, Simplicity, or manual rotary?

Cutting Fabric, AccuQuilt, Simplicity, or manual rotary?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

What is the easiest and fastest way to cut fabric for quilts? Do the automatic machines work well or are there disvantages to using them? Such as fabric waste, preparation for inserting, etc.

I am a long time sewer, relatively new quilter. I like to do projects that I can complete relatively quickly and easily. I also really like to use scraps. The cutting process frustrates me quickly. Is there a faster way than ripping or hand rotary cutting? I mostly cut squares, rectangles, or strips.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried a June Tailor Shape Cut flexible mat for rotary cutting? Makes it much easier to cut strips, squares and rectangles.

The Simplicity cutter has gotten really bad reviews; don't waste your money.

I have an Accuquilt Go! and really like it for triangles. Also like the strip cutter die, although I think I can rotary cut strips just as fast manually using a Shape Cut mat; it's just that the strip cutter die ensures accuracy.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Have the Accuquilt Go
and love the ability it gives for accurate strip cuts.squares of many sizes, triangles lg & sm.
everything is just so accurate.
Once you figure the gist of fabric cuts for what you are cutting it's easy and very little waste.
I find that if it doesn't fit the waste into a 2"square cut then I see it fits a flower piece, cut it and bag it; eventually bag gets full for another applique project.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I use the Go. It has all the basic shape dies you need for quilting. I waste much more fabric using a rotary cutter then I ever do using the Go. I seldom have more then 1/4" waste around each die.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I purchased and tried the June Tailor product you suggested and it is easier and faster to cut strips with. Thanks so much!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nnewman
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I purchased and tried the June Tailor product you suggested and it is easier and faster to cut strips with. Thanks so much!
Great! Are you aware you can use the mat for shapes as well? There are some video demos on Youtube that show how to cut squares, rectangles, diamonds, etc. with the Shape Cut mat.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

The shape cutter is fine as long as you don't tilt your rotary cutter.

Me: I love my Alto's QuiltCut2. I can adjust it to measure different amounts and angles as I want. It is NOT motorized and is more affordable and more usable that the Accuquilt.
It preseerves the function of my hands, too.

ali