Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting issue >

cutting issue

cutting issue

Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 AM

I use sandpaper disks. I used to use the clear stuff that adheres to the ruler, but found that it was almost as slippery as without, so my friend talked me into using the disks and I don't have nearly the problems with the ruler slipping. It did take some getting use to because the ruler doesn't just slid along, you have to pick it up slightly to move it, but once you get used to it, you will love it.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM

I have True Grips on most of mine. They are clear, so don't interfere with seeing the fabric or lines on the ruler (because invariably they land where I need to meaure). They do help, but aren't perfect.

Recently saw the Quilter's Sidelock, I think that looks awesome and would try one had I not recently bought the Martelli no slip strip ruler during their redline sale.

For the price we are paying for fabric, combined with how much better patterns come out with precision cutting, having the right tools is worth it!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM

I found I slipped way more using an Olfa mat.

I switched to the Fiskars mat, and have much less slippage.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:20 AM

For large rulers - I recently got the ruler and cutter combo where the cutter is built in (Nancy's) or (Quilt in a Day) - but on other rulers, I use a spring hand clamp to clamp it to the table. Smaller rulers, I am still experimenting - have used the little felt pads from the dollar store (sold to keep doors from banging), and the green shelf liners. Small strips of shelf liner also help if you have a gap in an embroidery machine hoop.

Marysewfun
Old 08-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

​I found that by pressing down firmly with my rotary cutter and not leaning it toward my ruler helped me not push my ruler off kilter. I also walk my hand down the ruler.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Press straight down on the ruler and move your hand along the ruler opposite the cutter blade as you are cutting. A lot of people use all sorts of things on the back of the ruler...sandpaper, glue dots, rubber cement, etc. There are also some good non-slip rulers out there if you're in the market for a new one. I like the Frosted Advantage ones by Olfa.
SewMary, great idea thanks for sharing. I usually do as ghostrider, just walk my hand up the ruler as I cut.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
For large rulers - I recently got the ruler and cutter combo where the cutter is built in (Nancy's) or (Quilt in a Day) - but on other rulers, I use a spring hand clamp to clamp it to the table. Smaller rulers, I am still experimenting - have used the little felt pads from the dollar store (sold to keep doors from banging), and the green shelf liners. Small strips of shelf liner also help if you have a gap in an embroidery machine hoop.

Marysewfun
Oh Marysewfun-love that idea of yours using the spring clap-I am going to give that a try for sure-thank-you.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I haven't tried the True Grips that Sunnie recommends, however, I have put the small circles of sandpaper on my ruler with good results, so the fabric rarely moves.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 AM

I use the small sand paper dots, and they work well for me.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 AM

One more suggestion, if someone hasn't already noted it. Use which ever method on the bottom and get a handle for the top. Using a handle on the top allows you to lean on the reuler and thet helps with movement. Also, there is no moving of the hand which can result in cut fingers.