Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting a lot of fabric >

Cutting a lot of fabric

Cutting a lot of fabric

Old 06-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

I would also suggest making sure after you cut some strips that it is still square. Sometimes things get a tiny bit out of whack, so edge needs to be sliver straightened.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I question whether you will be able to get six 7" cuts across the WOF for all your fabrics. That implies 42" between selvages and no waste while cutting. I never count on having more than 40" usable width.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:22 PM

So many helpful replies, thank you, thank you! I looked up that June Tailor ruler and it is available at Joanne's. I think I might invest in one. The advice about not letting the extra fabric dangle while cuttings was in valuable. That is just what I was thinking I would do; so to just work on one strip at a time. Instead, I will fold it as you suggested.

Thanks ladies. Just what I was looking for: advice on what to do and not do with such a large length of fabric. I was so intimidated by it!
Old 06-19-2021, 05:18 AM

It can seem like a lot of fabric cutting going on when we do a large project!

I would like to second what Dunster said -- over many years of disappointment, I no longer expect (sometimes I hope) for more than 40" usable across the width of the fabric. It used to be that quilting fabric was labeled as 44/45 and with some shrinkage you could expect 42 across. Not so! For one thing, fabric is sized/sold at all sorts of weird non-standards now. Read your bolt end!

I found out back in the early Y2K era when I was doing a lot of fabric swapping that we often could barely get 4 (10) squares per row.

Recently I had to re-buy more fabric, the fabric was sold as 43-44? Something like that and i needed 42" which I did not get. Not only did each side have a 1" white selvedge but there was also that line of holes about 3/4" in that made the selvedges essentially 2" on each side. Unfortunately for me, I needed 10.5 squares could only get 3 of those across -- short form, even had I pieced what I had left, I didn't have enough. In order to get what I needed I had to buy all of a 2 yard piece or 4 fat quarters -- and the 2 yard piece actually came out cheaper!
Old 06-19-2021, 05:49 AM

Iceblossom: I believe it and have experienced it for myself. I ordered the fabric from a popular website and it has measured out to be 44 inches. As you say though, there is some selvedge and those little lines of holes that eat into the width. I have noticed that lately, fabric does not seem to be as reliable as it used to be. I have never made a quilt this large before; usually only baby quilts and lap throws, so was a bit overwhelmed by it all. I guess if I do get 40 inches out of the width I will be lucky. I need total of 136 7 inch squares to be trimmed to 6 1/2 unfinished. I think I will be able to do it; but it might be close and that is part of the reason that I was anxious to approach this project with care. The rest of the quilt, which for my chosen size is the same amount of 7 inch squares, is being cut from fat quarters which I am able to handle better.

You have been most helpful and I appreciate all the help I have received on this.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ShelTluvr View Post
So many helpful replies, thank you, thank you! I looked up that June Tailor ruler and it is available at Joanne's. I think I might invest in one. The advice about not letting the extra fabric dangle while cuttings was in valuable. That is just what I was thinking I would do; so to just work on one strip at a time. Instead, I will fold it as you suggested.

Thanks ladies. Just what I was looking for: advice on what to do and not do with such a large length of fabric. I was so intimidated by it!
I have both June Tailor rulers(purchased before I knew about Stripology) and Stripology rulers. If I were to buy just one it would be the Stripology rulers - you will be glad that you spent the extra money. Easily available on Amazon.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Check every so often that your long strips are still straight.

Even being a little bit "off" when folding the fabric or placement of the ruler can lead to zig-zag strips instead of nice straight ones.

This is a repeat of previous advice - but -IMHO - definitely worth repeating.

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:12 AM

I purchased the Accuquilt system for this purpose. Cutting strips of most widths is a breeze anymore and takes only minutes to cut yards and yards of fabrics just the way I want it done. I am not sure that it would cut those dimensions but for most cutting needs it is great!
Other than this I would use the cutting lines on my cutting mat to make the cuts this way they should be accurate to each other. I also believe Cricket is making a 12"x 24" ruler now that could be of great help. It is available at JAF. I also believe someone else is making one now but I can't recall who?? This would be another choice of a way to go.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Creative Grids makes a 24.5 by 8.5 inch ruler that might work well for this project.

I prefer to cut with fewer layers. Probably more work, but i feel that I have more control that way.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:57 AM

Yes, I am rather intimidated by cutting too many layers, too. I have cut two before, but nothing more than that.