Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mat suggestions >

cutting mat suggestions

cutting mat suggestions

Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 PM

I am in the market for a new cutting mat. I have had the same one for 20 years, and I don't think it is made any longer. There are so many now, how do you choose? Is there a difference between the different brands? I just need a basic large one, nothing fancy. Are some "more" self healing than others? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM

I have two large Olfa mats, one of which I've had for several years. The thing is, I don't use the gridded side. I have them flipped over and rely on the rulers for accurate measuring. So, all in all, I've only used the Olfa, so I don't know about any of the other self-healing mats. One mat I'd love to have is a rotating one for smaller projects.... :D
Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I am amazed that your old mat lasted so long. My first Olfa lasted me about 10 years, with careful use, the next one is nearly as bad as the first, and it's only 3 years old. Are they building in obsolecence, as with household appliances? I would be interested in other board members opinions as to which make is the best too.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I bought the biggest Olfa mat this last Christmas and after a few weeks the mat started peeling off in strips. It came loose at the intersection of the cuts I made using the rotary cutter. I could peel the top layer off in strips. I contacted Olfa and was told, I still have the email, that it must be my fault for not cutting properly and Olfa mats were not guaranted and so not replaceable. But if I would mail the damaged mat to Olfa, she, the customer rep, would replace it this one time. I'll stick to Fiskars, I've never had a problem with their mats and they replace any product anytime.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ducky
I have two large Olfa mats, one of which I've had for several years. The thing is, I don't use the gridded side. I have them flipped over and rely on the rulers for accurate measuring. So, all in all, I've only used the Olfa, so I don't know about any of the other self-healing mats. One mat I'd love to have is a rotating one for smaller projects.... :D
Ducky, I cut up my old mat into a circle - it isn't like a turntable, but just as useful for turning around without having to move the fabric on it. How do you square up anything on an unmarked mat?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I'm very interested in this subject too, I need to replace mine with a bigger one and do not want to buy one that isn't going to last a good number of years.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I bought the biggest Olfa mat this last Christmas and after a few weeks the mat started peeling off in strips. It came loose at the intersection of the cuts I made using the rotary cutter. I could peel the top layer off in strips. I contacted Olfa and was told, I still have the email, that it must be my fault for not cutting properly and Olfa mats were not guaranted and so not replaceable. But if I would mail the damaged mat to Olfa, she, the customer rep, would replace it this one time. I'll stick to Fiskars, I've never had a problem with their mats and they replace any product anytime.
That's exactly what has happened to my three year old mat. It's the largest one, and I now have thin white lines where the original grid was. The white is the middle layer of the mat, where the top layer has come away in thin strips. Self healing it isn't!!! I am still using it on the back, rather like ducky does, but I have to use one of my smaller ones to square up blocks.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 PM

I have a Fiskars mat, which my son bought me years ago. Although it's not seen that much use until the last couple of years. lol!!! Not had a single problem with it, still looks great! :D
Old 07-05-2009, 05:23 PM

I updated my mat a few months ago, I had an Olfa that was also 20+ years old, so old it had no grid printed on it. I figured I couldn't go wrong with another Olfa.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM

I have used the gray June Taylor mats and like everything about them even the white lines however the white lines does wear off I now use the green I believe olfa mat and have not had any trouble with it