Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting mat >

Cutting mat

Cutting mat

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 AM

I bought both of my Olfa 23 x 35 with coupons many, many, many years ago. I used to sew alot of clothes and I needed the length for slacks and shirts. Back then they were only about $35 each without a coupon (I'm really dating my mats - :oops: ). You should get the biggest mat you can afford. Use your dinner table as you work surface and you don't have to worry about it hanging over. Before I had a designated cutting table I used to store mine flat against the wall behind a desk or bookcase. Just don't store it next to a heat source as they will warp.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 AM

Buy the biggest one you can afford. Also, don't stand them on end when you're not using them as the larger ones, especially, will bend. I keep my largest one flat on the floor under my bed. I also have a very convenient one that folds up; the ruler side is 12x24, the other side is an ironing surface. It's really handy when you're putting pieces together.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 AM

The larger, the better. It's good to have a smallish one too, however, so that you can take it along if you go someplace else to sew; i.e., classes, charity quilting.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM

I have a 17" x 23" mat I use for cutting, trimming and squaring up blocks and a 24" x 36" for cutting fabric on my cutting table.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM

I just started quilting a few months ago and it was suggested to me that I buy the 18X24 olfa mat because when you are cutting strips they will be about 22" long when folded over.

I think it was great advice so I am passing it on! And be sure to use a Joanns coupon :)
Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 PM

I bought a smaller mat to start with & it has been a pain from day one. Trust me you need a bigger one in the long run because it's just easier to cut on. I sliced a hole in my tablecloth & scratched my table one day because my mat was too small. Arghh! I had ignored the advice of several people who told me just spring for the bigger one. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Having taken over the dining room table for cutting, the Joann's 36x60 is a good base on which to work and cut lengths of fabric. I find however that the large mat frequently does not completely cut through all threads consistently. I have a smaller 24 x something that cuts much better and has the advantage that I don't have to turn the piece to recut, but rather can rotate the whole mat.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

I would say get what you can afford to start with, you can always go bigger later. I like my big one the best, but use the small one to.Penny
Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM

For regular cutting I would also recommend the 24"x36" mat. I also have a 12"x18" mat that I keep by my sewing machine for cutting blocks for machine embroidery and other trimming needs. I must say though that I have just recently started on this quilting adventure and purchased a 12" square rotating mat at Jo-Ann's last week when the Fiskars products were 50% off and love it for squaring up my blocks. It is wonderful being able to keep the block and ruler on the mat and just turn the mat to trim the sides of the blocks. There is so much less chance for me to bump the block and really mess things up!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:17 PM

I have a 24 x 18" - it fits my cutting table - as well as a smaller rotating mat. When I need to square up a large quilt, I set up a couple of large folding tables (I don't do well on the floor anymore!). Bought those sizes at the recommendation of teacher of my first quilting class.