Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Material >

Cutting Material

Cutting Material

Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM

I agree with the others that you need to be higher than your cutting mat. On a different note -- keep up with your pain meds -- don't try to be tough and not take it on schedule. I've had 3 surgeries on my knee and know how painful it is. Hope you get some relief soon. Good luck with your PT
Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Another thing is, what kind of rotary cutter do you have? Have you tried one of the ergonomic ones. I really like my Martelli They make a righty & a leftie
here's what they look like:
http://www.amazon.com/Martelli-Ergo-...+rotary+cutter
It would be great if you had one you could try first as I use mine standing. I actually alternate a 'regular' fiskars straight handle type with the martelli. use one for a while, then switch.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 PM

oh wow such good ideas. I have a table from Sams Club in the attic, the legs are adjustable, my Dh is going to get it down for me, then I will just adjust my chair higher. Hopefully that will work, I don't want to give up my quilting. Thank you everyone that has responded to my question.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM

I haven't been able to stand for long periods of time for years. I always cut sitting down. I hadn't thought about exactly what I did. I've used any chair, any table. Right now, I'm sitting on a dining room chair with two thick pads on it and cutting on a cutting board on a TV table, but I'd use the dining room table if it were clear. I haven't had any problems with any sitting configuration.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM

I have used a tv fold table , this had adjustable heights to fit just right height to cut, I couldn't use my left hand or arm, so to keep the ruler still I found some weights to hold ruler down. Other than that I marked with a pen and hand cut using scissors.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM

I always cut sitting down. I can't stand for long periods due to a back injury a few years ago. I fold my fabric into 4 times the width and cut with my 6 x 12 inch ruler. I find it very comfortable and can cut for long periods without any problem.
Sue
Old 01-16-2014, 03:49 PM

I cut sitting down also. I am at a regular folding table but I put my office chair at it's highest. Also, I never just cut fabric. I cut a little, sew a little, cut a little sew a little. It works for me.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I always cut sitting down. I am 5'5 so I don't know what it is, but my table seems just the right height for me. I also cut, and sew, etc. I have several autoimmune disorders with severe fatigue so I have to sit to quilt etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 PM

I sometimes put my cutting mat on an ottoman when watching TV, then sit on the sofa and cut leaning forward toward it. One ottoman is upholstered and somewhat soft, so it works best if I put a piece of plywood or thick cardboard under the mat to keep the mat from bowing down where I am cutting.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Maybe a coffee table is about the right height and sturdiness for cutting mat to be placed on? I use mine sometimes when DH is away and I want to cut fabric and watch TV.