Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting my own extra large Dresden Plate template

Cutting my own extra large Dresden Plate template

I am needing a template for an extra large DP template for making a necktie quilt for a friend who recently lost her husband. The quilt she wants appears to use a large portion of the necktie length for each blade. Do you think I can subdivide a large circle and create my own pattern. Or is such a pattern already available? Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Retiree; 07-06-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    I use freezer paper to make my own templates.....once I get it right then I use some other template material.

Blog Entries
    Have you worked with neckties before? If not, you may be in for some challenges. I believe that most of the quilts that use large blades for a Dresden plate are using the entire tie. If you take the tie apart in order to use the silk as a single layer, you need to use a fusible to give it some substance.

I took some silk ties apart and hand washed them prior to fusing, and I had such a mess I gave up. These were old silk ties and the reds bled like crazy.

There's no problem with making your own templates. I would cut the Dresden spokes out of freezer paper, then iron the freezer paper templates to the wrong side of the silk, leaving them in while piecing on the machine. This makes matching the edges for piecing easier.

Be sure to Google Dresden tie quilts before starting so you have an idea of some of the issues that can arise working with ties.

Go to YouTube and search "Men's tie quilt" and several helpful tutorials come up. One is by Fons & Porter on how to prepare ties to use for a quilt.
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Blog Entries
    I wash my ties before deconstructing them. I throw them (silk, cotton, poly) into the washer and wash them just like anything else I wash: warm wash & rinse and regular detergent. I don't use fabric softener because I use Pellon SF 101 Woven Fusible interfacing. I recommend putting them in a mesh laundry bag or a pillowcase with the end pinned or basted closed. Otherwise you will have a jumbled, tangled mess! (Voice of experience ). After they are washed and deconstructed (which is pretty simple to do), I PRESS them and then apply the Pellon SF101.

You can certainly make your own Dresden template by sub dividing a circle. Good luck and be sure to post a picture when you are done.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    What about the long length 9' or 10 ' degree wedges used for the spicy spiral table toppers
    Finished is better than a UFO

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, everyone. I have been researching all afternoon, since talking to my friend. I have gone back and forth between excitement and fear. One method showed sew and flip, similar to string piecing. Or would you make the Dresden Plate and applique it down? Thanks again.

Power Poster
    It seems like dresden plate types of blocks have varying numbers of segments/blades.

Probably the first thing to do is to decide how big you want the center piece to be - and then go from there.

Blog Entries
    I did a search in Yahoo Images and saw a huge quilt with full length ties. it made a very large center area and they had something embroidered in there.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I just ordered some of the Pellon on eBay. Going to give the ties one more chance. Thanks, auntpiggylpn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I just ordered some of the Pellon on eBay. Going to give the ties one more chance. Thanks, auntpiggylpn!
    You're welcome! Let me know what you think when you use it!
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 07-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, everyone. I have been researching all afternoon, since talking to my friend. I have gone back and forth between excitement and fear. One method showed sew and flip, similar to string piecing. Or would you make the Dresden Plate and applique it down? Thanks again.
    I would appliqué it down, IMHO.