Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting off selvages >

Cutting off selvages

Cutting off selvages

Old 09-18-2010, 04:24 AM

I have seen several post where members are using selvages to make various quilted items with. I never cut off my selvages before I cut my fabrics. Am I supposed to? Do most quilters cut of selvages? Is there a benefit to cutting them off?

I have sewed since jr. high school, back in the late 70's. My Home Ec. teacher made us line up the selvages and measure the center line of each pattern piece to the selvages. To this day, I still find myself wanting to measure to the selvages when I cut out patterns. LOL!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 AM

I don't cut off the salveges until I cut the fabric either. I also measure them the salvage edge before I cut to make sure everything is on grain.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 AM

like so many other things "it's personal preference" you're supposed to do it the way you are comfortable, it has become a novelty to make things from selvages. I'm saving mine but they are in bits and pieces, after I cut mypieces from the strips or whatever, then I remove the selvage, I cut the selvage off first two times and both times my piece was a wee bit too short for one more piece, so I had waste. Now I cut all my pieces and if there is enough left on the selvage to be useful I save it, if not I chunk it.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I have seen several post where members are using selvages to make various quilted items with. I never cut off my selvages before I cut my fabrics. Am I supposed to? Do most quilters cut of selvages? Is there a benefit to cutting them off?
I ALWAYS cut off my selvages. My mom and I ran a drapery business since the 60's and learned very quickly to get rid of them. Most times they are woven tighter and pucker, they shrink and draw up after washing and many times they have these little holes in them that can show. Not to mention that often times they are a different color.

I imagine you will get comments both ways and it is probably a matter of preference. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 AM

I used to work in a mill so I know how tight and solid the selvages can be. I remove the selvages before I wash my fabric. If it's a fabric that might ravel quite a bit I run it under the serger first. Selvages may look nice and straight but actually they aren't.

It depends on the fabric as to how I remove the selvages. If it is cotton or a straight woven fabric I nip about 1 inch in from the selvage and tear it. Then I prewash my fabrics.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 AM

I think it is a personal prefence I have never had any problem when I didn't cut it of so it's what mood I'm in at the time.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't like having to cut off the extra fabric along the selvedges to make them useable LOL
Those extra inches add up :wink:
Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 AM

I think they might cut off the selvedges to use them on a pattern that is popular now. I will cut them when I cut my fabric but not before. I liket o know where the fabric came from and what it is called in case I need more. I have a little box started for the next post I see needing selvedges. LOL.