Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? on cutting panels >

? on cutting panels

? on cutting panels

Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Default ? on cutting panels

I have a series of panels I need to cut apart. They're a little wonky on the grain of fabric. Do I cut these panels apart so the design is square or do I cut them so the 'fabric' is square? I hope that makes sense... Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 PM

When I cut apart a wonky panel, I'm usually able to cut out the design. I will then pin a straight side to my ironing board and spray it good with starch and square it up while it's wet. I work my way around it while pinning it in shape and hit it with the iron. Works for me.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 PM

Yes, I have also had panels that are wonky and have cut them apart so that the design is square. If it is really out of square, (for a baby panel) I have taped it to my table, easing and stretching as necessary, and then wetted it down with a spray bottle, and let it dry. Usually it comes out square(ish).
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 PM

It is so annoying after the price you pay for a panel and they are wonky. I always cut out the panel and try to square up. I wish that some manufacturers left larger spaces to cut in.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 AM

Thanks Ladies! I was hoping for this direction. These are going to be appx 7" squares. I appreciate the comments!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 AM

When fabric is printed, it is stretched on the rollers and frame. (Stretched taut). There is no way for it to be "perfect". I like the method mentioned above. Square it up after cutting. Its all illusion once it is assembled.

Sandy
Old 11-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

So after you square it up and incorporate it into your quilt, do you have to quilt it heavily to keep it that way? Does it resume its original 'wonkiness' when you wash it?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Banned

Mine dont. They stay.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
It is so annoying after the price you pay for a panel and they are wonky. I always cut out the panel and try to square up. I wish that some manufacturers left larger spaces to cut in.
I agree. You would think if we can send a man to the moon, that they could print panels SQUARE. I had to add a small border to square these printed blocks to make a quilt.
Attached Thumbnails snowman-closeup.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Once the fabric is pieced into the quilt and quilted there is little stress on it to pull wonky again.

You can pull the panel close to square and even it it is still off a little, cut on the square you want to cut, not the fabric grain. Starch helps a lot to prevent fraying on wonky fabric.

When working with wonky panels, the tugging in opposite bias corners, back and forth a little at a time with firm but not aggressive pressure and stab pin it to an ironing surface, dampen with starch and press should hold the fabric in place as a preparation to cut it square. You have to make the fabric move to your will. It will go where you want it, if it is not overly wonky.

Anxious to see your project!
peace