Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting scraps >

Cutting scraps

Cutting scraps

Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 AM

I cut scraps to 2.5, 2, and 1.5 squares. Then any left over go into a mini log cabin bag. I only cut them into squares when they can't be anything else but a 2.5 square, larger scraps and strips stay in their color bin. The scraps go into 2 gallon zip log bags. Thus said, it takes a concentrated effort to use them. If I forget, it gets overwhelming really fast.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:04 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Have also vowed to tame the scrap monster. This is what I have been cutting: strips (more than 12" long) 1.5, 2, 2.5' 3.5 and 4.5. Squares 2' 2.5', 3.5, 4.5, 6.5' 10 and 12.5. Rectangles 2 x 3.5' 2.5 x 4.5' and 2x5. I am almost half-way through. And some funky trapezoidal Santa hats, since there were quite a few left over from the the last mystery and I have a plan for those. And HST that finish to 1,5, 2, 2.5' 3.5 and 6.5. The orphan blocks are gathered in a basket. All the layered quilts went into a big basket next to the machine for quilting. Tops done are in other baskets,with batting and binding and backing fabric. Planned non-scrappies have another basket for pattern/fabric. My sewing room is very small, so organization is critical.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 AM

As I finish a project I cut the leftovers into strips 2 1/2" or less and into 2 1-2" squares. I keep a bunch of white fabric strips in the same container,and in between projects I make strip blocks. I need over 200 6/12" blocks for a big quilt...it's coming along nicely!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:18 AM

I never cut them! There are so many times I use different sizes and shapes especially for samplers like the one I'm doing now.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Funny you should mention this. I haven't in the past cut any of them down. I love to applique, so they stay in thier original state. I do plan on organizing them into like colors now though. They are getting out of control.
Last year I gave away three black trash bags of them to a fellow seamstress. It sure felt good to pass them on and out of my hair.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I'm another who doesn't cut until I know what I'm making. I keep the smaller scraps (smaller than FQ) in plastic shoe boxes, sorted by color and/or type. I label the boxes and stack them on shelves. The scraps inside have been washed and pressed, and are flat in the box (unless large enough to need to be folded) so they are pretty much ready to be cut when I need them.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Your scraps need to be cut into sizes that you actually use. I know that I make a lot of scrappy quilts (multi-fabric sounds more elegant) and use 2 1/2", 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" strips and squares all the time so that is what I now cut. I rarely use 3" strips or squares unless I am making 2 1/2" HST's so I probably wouldn't cut many of those. Having cut pieces in sizes you rarely or never use doesn't make a lot of sense. You need to know what sizes work for you and even if you'll use them otherwise you might as well box up those scraps and leave them on the guild "freebie" table so they are out of your quilting space.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I am too lazy to cut. Am enjoying making a mile-a-minute quilt from scraps. This quilt is my inspiration:
https://sewingroomsecrets.wordpress....tchwork-quilt/
(Scroll down to "That moment when....."

and here is a recent QB thread with a link to a tutorial that got me started:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t280847.html

The one thing I am doing is sorting my scraps into batiks and non-batiks. The one I'm working on now is all batiks or batik-like scraps. I am finding this both relaxing and fun!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:19 AM

Okay, about to admit something I usually don't. I donate my scraps when I run into someone at an auction, drooling over the material about to be sold, get her into a conversation about quilting etc., hear her share a story or two about her current or past creation, then offer scraps. Since I don't live far from the auction, it doesn't take long to drive home and back. My material on shelves keeps reproducing, so these babies I'm donating usually have a very nice home.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:03 AM

I use a lot of 2 1/2 " strips. If I have enough fabric left after making a quilt I will run them through my go. I take the strips with us in our RV and sew "leftover" quilts! We just came home from 2 weeks at our place in the UP. I made blocks for 3 quilts while there. The rest of the scraps are color sorted and stored in bins, I rifle through for what I need.