Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cutting or starting phobia

I do this same thing! Sew many patterns, sew much fabric, decisions, decisions, decisions! But finally just decide on a pattern, pick out the fabrics, and go for it. Better to have something a little less than perfect done than nothing!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I have other people cut it up!

Ditto Girl, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this phobia. I'll be watching what others have to say.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

One of the members of my quilting group has a accucquilt studio and she'll cut up her smaller pieces into squares or rectangles. I love to get a bag of her pieces. Sometimes I'll get bags of small pieces to use for my scrappys and I'll just cut those up into strips....but it's the yardage I have problems cutting into. Good to know I'm not alone.

With prices so high, I've been MAKING myself use from my stash. Those fabrics I've been "saving", for what ever reason, are going to get used! I've got gobs of scraps, but don't have a plan in place to use them. I've been organizing them into colors, but I have trouble making scrap quilts. I need to get on Bonnie Hunter's site and make myself get started. I can't just start sewing scraps together randomly. I have a need for organization. I find if I have a pattern to follow, even if it is my own, I can cut into those pieces because I know where they will be when I'm done. Don't know if that makes sense, LOL!

I was like that also, but decided not to buy any more fabric, just use from my stash, which is probably enough for a small fabric shop. I refuse to buy anymore fabric. I recently quit smoking, so I have been keeping busy with making and finishing up WIP. The cutting is what helps with the not smoking the most. Also, my DD doesn't sew or quilt, so would hate for my family to just do whatever with it. I do have a few friends who will get whatever I have left after I'm gone, which hopefully will be a long time yet.

I love all the good advice that is shared on this board. I think all of us are alike in one way or another. I have many pieces of fabric that I hate to use because maybe I will find a pattern that will be better for it than the one I was thinking of using it for. I recently finished the top of a scrappy quilt and had a piece in mind for the pack. I went to the store to buy batting and ended up buying a piece for the back also. Than was not in my plan and now I still have the original piece I was going to use. I think I need to write down what my plan is so I actually use what I have and don't buy more. Sometime I think I will just save it all for the day when maybe I can't buy anything to sew with. I hope that day never comes but if it does many of us will still have fabric in our stash.
    Lorraine

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one with the phobia. !!!!!

Blog Entries
    I love cutting fabric! Now it is a whole different story when I get to the binding... ugh!!!!!!
    Sadiemae

I understand!~! I am so afraid I will find something better to use the fabric on!! The only thing heoping me break this habit is being on disability...I do not have the money to spend as freely on fabric...therefore, I need to use my stash more.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've been saving a lot of fabric because I can't seem to cut into it and now it is kind of "out of style". Dang! So I have to hurry up and use it. I know, fabric shouldn't go out of style, but to me, this did.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I understand!~! I am so afraid I will find something better to use the fabric on!!
    That's it exactly. I'm afraid that when I actually cut into it, it won't look as good as I imagine or something better will come along later.

Thanks for starting this thread, I have this problem too. One thing I have learned is that if you keep a fabric for a long time it can look dated. I don't want to give away a new quilt that looks like I made it many years ago. Also you can make a quilt now and decide later whether to keep it or give it to someone else. That can help relieve the pressure to be perfect.

Y'all have made me feel so much better. I thought I was the only fabric petter around. I have spent the better part of 2 weeks moving fabric from one room to another. I decided this would be a good time to wash all of my fabric that hadn't been washed before, so that is doubling my time. I can't wait to finish and have my sewing/quilting "stuff" in one place. I've discovered lots of fabrics that I forgot I have. I've sorted out a large pile for charity quilts. I really feel great about my current organizing mission. LOL! We can't help it==we're quilters!!!

I think of this a "performance anxiety." Like making yourself sit down and actully type the first word of a story or rip the arms off a fur coat to make a mink teddy bear.
    So, I start in the middle! I don't write the first word--I write a scene in the middle of the story that I see as plain as day, and i rip an old mink coat in half and get it over with. Then it is just a tool of a process that is half over-see--not precious fabric to "save"?
    Maybe you could play like that with your "planned quilt.'" as if it didn't matter where you start, just get going.
    So, ME? I would take the design I like to tackle and and make a sample of it in blue, teal or green (my "oops" colors) work out the angles and hassles on it, and then go through my stash for colors/designs I really love. Settle on 3 or 4 that you have to have in that particular quilt or NOT to use to save for another quilt, and then rip the chosen fabric in half!
    Yes, you may have to piece your back - who cares? You will be able to get there.
    Then you are free to create.
    Works for me.
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

I "saved" my favorite fabrics for years. If I was going to take a class, I tried to take fabrics that were no longer my favorites, in case I made a mistake. Then, about 4 years ago, my Mom passed away and I was the designated one to clean out her house. Her fabric room was filled with fabrics that she had "saved" for "special," and she never got to use them. She lived about 1500 miles from me, so I mailed lots and lots of fabric home. And now, every time I start something new, I go right to my sewing room, and pull out my favorite fabrics. I get to enjoy them, and hopefully, my daughters won't have to take so much fabric to Goodwill or Salvation Army after I am gone!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I find myself making scrappy quilts for charity more often than not. My main problem is choosing fabrics that will look good together. A couple of years ago I was at a Super Bowl sale at our lqs. I was trying to pick out fabrics for a log cabin quilt. A friend who was in our sewing club came in and when I explained what I was looking for, she asked what colors I liked. Within 15 minutes she had picked out the perfect fabrics for my quilt. I wish I could take her fabric shopping with me every time. I have a fairly large stash, but I don't feel confident when I am trying to put fabrics together for a quilt. Is there any hope for me?

Norma

Try buying jelly rolls or charm packs to start a project. they are already cut, they don't need to be petted or cut or anything, just open the pack and start sewing. If you have a local Tuesday Morning store, they've been selling jelly rolls and charm packs and other pre cuts of fabric for a very reasonable price. Get a jelly roll pack, don't look at it, just open them and sew them together. No phobia to get past. It works very well for me, and in the past 2 years, I've done 3 twin size quilts, quilted them myself, 2 large quilted table cloths for my Mom, 5 0r 6 table runners and 4 place mats , plus generic sewing for my DGD's and some project Linus projects. If I can do it, you can do it.

Not having to cut it helps with the phobia, and it gets a project finished quickly so that you are eager to move on to another one. Before you know it, you will be cutting into that stash.!!!! Good Luck

I, too, have the same problem. My husband does not understand! And sometimes, neither do I. I saved Mary Engelbreit fabrics for several years, and finally made a quilt with the fabrics. Lots and Lots of fabrics. I did not have a piece large enough for the backing, so I tried to find one, and had a very difficult time finding fabrics to match that were ME fabrics. I didn't want to do a solid back. I found some, but I think I will make a scrappy ME backing with what I already have. Haven't quilted it yet, but the top is FINISHED! A very good feeling. In the meantime, I have lots of other fabrics that are my "favorites" and don't know why I don't just cut into them and sew....I sort them, pet them, move them around my sewing room. I think about which ones I am going to use next, but haven't cut any more yet. I am encouraged by this post to just get in there and cut and sew! Thanks to all of you!

Year before last I took 12 classes through our quilt guild and I got all my fabric from my stash. I was so happy and proud.

My phobia is slightly different. When I buy fabric, it is generally for a paticular project. So my stash is pretty much projects that I have not yet cut out. (Several drawers full, though!) But what happens is that when I get ready to begin a new project and lay the fabric out, I panic because I'm so certain that THIS is the time that I finally prove to myself that I have no business sewing because I have no knack for it. So I spend a few days mentally arguing with myself before I work the courage up to actually cut the fabric.

Now keep in mind that I've been sewing for over 30 years, off and on, and seriously sewing at least weekly and usually daily for the past two and a half, I can honestly say that I've only had a few ruins. And most of those were garments that, although made to the pattern, just didn't fit right. My worst blunder was cutting some beautiful fabric for a lap quilt for my mother this past fall. Some of the strips were off just a smidge and the ones that weren't visibly shrank when I ironed them. So I felt like I wasted a huge amount of money. But once I find the courage to actually "start" a project by putting scissors or rotary to cloth, and then start sewing, I sorta calm down and really get into the project. But it's nervy all the same just to get started. I'm always afraid that I'm going to fail. How crazy is that?

I can sit and stare for hours before I actually can bring myself to cut into new piectes UNLESS they were bought for a particular project

Blog Entries
    Girl. you have to look at it this way. The more of your stash you use, the more new stuff you can buy. Really do charity quilts for your local shelter or displaced children like we do. It is a wonderful feeling, and make your friends quilts also. They will love it as well.
    Good luck
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I think I have the same affliction. Not sure how to cure it either. My biggest pain is I have some very special fabric - if you wish - one of a kind. I LOVE it but I'm scared to use it.

I suppose I need to rethink this - hmmmm - quilt for myself. There is a concept!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to cut into fabric! Yet, I still pick small pieces up all the time at the quilt stores! I love fabric and I love color! I hate to throw even dinky pieces away from my projects,too. I have just finished the Farmer's Wife quilt and think I'd like to start another large quilt like Dear Jane so I would have one for each of our daughters someday. I don't need quilts!! I know I would be blessed if I made lap size quilts and gave them away!
    Well, I just rambled on here, but this is a subject that whirls around my mind a lot! May all of us find our way in this wonderful maze of quilting fun we are in!!
    jillnjo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2