Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting table base? >

Cutting table base?

Cutting table base?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Cutting table base?

Hubby is making me a sewing room. (personally I think he wants the kitchen table back....but that's another post!).

I should have room for a cutting table approximately 3'x5'.

I found a table top (veneer) at Menards for only $35.

What do you think the best base would be with economy in mind. I was going to put 2 kitchen base cabinets, but was wondering if a pedestal would also work.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM

when someday gets here...I was thinking of using cabinet bases with drawers but I would also like to have them attached to a small wood base/platform with casters so it would be easy to move.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM

How do you store your fabrics? I store mine in bins so a pedestal cutting table for me would be something that was two bins high. I have a friend that uses two dressers back to back and stores stuff in the drawers. I think the height is the important part since you have the size in mind that you need.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Cabinets will provide the most storage, and as mentioned, make sure the height is correct. usually around 36" but it depends on your height.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Hubby is making me a sewing room. (personally I think he wants the kitchen table back....but that's another post!).

I should have room for a cutting table approximately 3'x5'.

I found a table top (veneer) at Menards for only $35.

What do you think the best base would be with economy in mind. I was going to put 2 kitchen base cabinets, but was wondering if a pedestal would also work.

What are your thoughts?
We are in the process of moving house and I'll have a nice large sewing studio, which is currently being painted!

This is what I was planning on using. Two kitchen base cabinets at each end with an opening in the middle (my cutting table will be 4' X 8' roughly). We were then going to drop a full size pine board on the top.

The nice thing about kitchen or bathroom vanity base units is that they are already at the right working height for me. My current cutting table is a standard height table, and I can feel the fatigue of bending over to cut.

I can't wait to get a sewing room back!! It's been 7 months!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:39 PM

If you look on Pinterest, you will find 100's of ideas. My cutting table is made of Expedit book cases. There are 4 units of 4 squares each; these were attached and feet mounted, then a formica top put on. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use 3 units - this is huge and too heavy to move without taking all apart. What was once a family room is now my sewing room, even though it is open to the kitchen and visible to everyone. My cutting table is the largest thing in the room. All of that said, I love it - huge surface and lots of storage space!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
when someday gets here...I was thinking of using cabinet bases with drawers but I would also like to have them attached to a small wood base/platform with casters so it would be easy to move.
Locking casters, I hope! You don't want your table moving away while you are pressing down and cutting with your rotary cutter.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM

I use my uncle's old Formica kitchen table with the extra leaf. It holds my big cutting may (34x58) exactly. I use bed risers and have tubs stored below. Works for me.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:37 PM

I would suggest you measure from the floor to your bended elbow to determine the best height for you (this is a typical ergonomic measurement). Probably bath or kitchen vanity bases will work for you but check to be sure. Otherwise, check Ikea. If neither of those work from a height perspective, you're kind of committed to custom but those don't need to be fancy/expensive. Some bookcases would work as well with the top attached.

I have one of the JoAnn's folding tables (but bought elsewhere) with the locking casters. I'm 5' 2" and I feel it's too high for me. I have a vintage, free-standing cabinet with enamel top that I use for rolling cookie dough when baking. It's perfect for that purpose and I'd really prefer that height for fabric cutting as well. Granted, I'd be bending but I feel that would be more comfortable than stretching.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Unless space is a factor, say no to the pedestal! I have a craft table I bought several years ago which consists of a pedestal (with a center cabinet built in) and two hinged extender leafs, one on the left and right sides of the pedestal. They are supported by swing-out support that supports the leaves on a 45 degree angle.

While it is a great space saver because the leaves fold down, the extender leaves have curved over time. My theory is that it has curved because the edges farthest from the pedestal are not supported. When I press the rotary cutter down, even with the a new ruler and cutting board, the fabric cuts are bowed to the curve of the table. It is not the 'elbowing' that sometimes happens when cutting over a fold of fabric.