Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting table for sewing room >

Cutting table for sewing room

Cutting table for sewing room

Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 AM

I bought three trestle stands from Ikea and then lay a flat door over them. They can be height adjusted. I also use it for my quilting frame.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 AM

Please help me decide if this table will be worth it.

There are many suggestions on this post. There is a photo at the end of the table I chose from Ikea.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 AM

Mine came from JoAnn's several years ago. I"m not sure if they even offer it any more but I do like it. There are 2 hinged "leaves" that can be put up for when you need more space but taken down if not needed or to move it from one room to another. The only thing I don't like about it is that it must be only 35" wide as my 36" cutting mat doesn't quite fit but it's workable.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:33 AM

I have a Martelli table. It's one of the top three quilting purchases I have ever made.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 AM

I bought 2 base cabinets that have 8 shallow drawers each. My husband bolted them together end-to-end and added casters (2 flat furniture moving dollies 4 casters each) then added a sheet of 3/4" melamine board (our local lumberyard cut it to the right size) for the top. The drawers are great for holding cutting mats, rulers, templates, rotary cutters, etc. I love it!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:42 AM

I wish I had seen all of these wonderful ideas for cutting tables, but I purchased a Husky work table at Home Depot (on sale of course). I like that the height it is adjustable and on casters should I want to rearrange my room or move it. I have a couple of storage units parked under it. I am not home to take a photo...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62...DB12/301810799
Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 AM

I have an electric height adjustable desk that's 30x84, I sew standing up 90% of the time, but I lower it for cutting and other things. I love it! Got it half price cause the bamboo top had a tiny 2" scratch on it.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:16 AM

I'm using 2 bottom sections of a bookcase with doors for more storage and a sheet of 5/8" plywood for the top. Also added brackets halfway down to add another shelf. By using these bookcases I can make the length of my cutting table as long as I want. Luckily the bookcases are wide enough to hold a sheet 4' wide with no issues. I wanted to find a cutting mat to fit the table I had but couldn't so found a 4 x 8 mat and made the table top to fit the mat. Added a trim piece placed just a hair above so it would keep the mat from shifting..........not that it would as heavy as it is but just in case.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 AM

I came across an architectural draftman's table at a thrift store some years ago. The height is adjusted to suit me, it's at a tilt, and the surface is good size for cutting. Couldn't get along without it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
4 x 2 ft table from Costco. Height adjusts, room for plastic storage drawers below.
This was my arrangement until recently, and I'd like to point out that you can put bed risers under them to get a more comfortable height for cutting. If you have carpet, this set-up won't slide away from you.

Recently I upgraded with 2 Ikea "Alex" drawer units (designed for desks) and a 24" flush door, which I painted. It's a standard door, 80" long. There's still room under it for more storage, and I opted to use some tilt out bins, also from Ikea, which nicely store supplies I use a lot, such as machine embroidery hoops and stabilizer. My DH built toe kicks from 2X4s to raise the drawer units to a comfortable height for cutting. If you don't have a saw but have a lumber store near you that cuts the boards, all you need is a power drill to make the starter holes and you can easily make the toe-kicks yourself. I might have opted for a wider door if I had room, but when you think of it, the length of your arm determines how far you can roll your cutter, and most of us don't need more than 2 feet. I find it very useful to have my cutting table as an island in the middle of the room so I can cut both ways without moving my mat. Walking around the table over and over = exercise!

I have seen similar designs for a long time, but one day I was watching a video of Tula Pink in her studio and noticed she had a work table made in a similar fashion, and that was the impetus to get me started on finally putting this together. The total cost, not counting the tilt bins and paint, which I already had, was just under $200. Tula's door was elaborately painted, of course. Mine is just pale blue chalk paint with a coat of furniture wax.