Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting table >

Cutting table

Cutting table

Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm constructing a cutting table for my new sewing corner and need some advice here. Should I leave an empty space below for legroom? I suppose this may not be necessary since I normally stand when cutting fabrics. I've asked my carpenter to construct drawers and storage cupboards below, to maximise use of the space as I have a very small area to work with.

I'm thinking about the legroom as this table could also be used for other purposes when I'm not cutting fabrics.

Also, what is an ideal size and height for the cutting table, in view of space constraints?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I wish my cutting table was large enough for two rotary cutting mats! The larger you can have it, the better, when it comes to doing large projects .... or squaring up quilt tops and working on borders, etc.

It is higher than a standard table which makes it much easier on my back. Actually I wouldn't mind it to be a little higher still. Height would be variable to the person ... are you 6 ft tall? or 5 ft? etc! .... what height is comfortable for you to work without bending and stooping?

I like the leg room under mine ... often pull up a bar stool to it and work at other things because I have such great lighting overhead. There's still space underneath that I can stack things behind where my legs are when I sit down.

Built in storage underneath is a great plan .... consider all the things you need at the cutting table and plan for it to be stored inside, rather than on top! If you have the space available, I would make the cutting table as an island, so you can cut from all sides, if you wished. Plus it gives you lots of space to work with yardage or a whole quilt top. Also, I'd have it on lcoking wheels, so I could push it up against a wall and pull out when I wanted to.

While you're doing updates .... if you don't have it, plan for a design wall !!

Have fun with all your planning!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM

One thing to remember when deciding on the height.... if you're the only person who will be using it, then consider your own height. I'm 5'9" and my kitchen counter is the perfect height, but for my friend who is 5' her dining room table is the perfect height.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:11 AM

I left legroom on mine.. and never use it ... wish I had a done something else. I just can't cut fabric sitting down... just like ironing ... I have to stand.
Regarding the height do what works for you ! I am short and mine is slightly lower than the counters in my kitchen. If you think you want them taller , try cutting a liitle on you ktichen counters and they are taller than most tables. But it is harder to cut a large piece to the very middle on really tall tables .. as you just can't get good downward pressure on the rotary cutter. See what works
Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 AM

The one thing I'm glad I have on my cutting table is about 12" of space to the right of the mats - for pins, my container to throw tiny bits, the telephone, and odds and ends. It's in a corner, with the right side against the wall
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 AM

You do need to consider feet room under the table when you are standing and working. You do not want to put your back in a strain by having to bend at the waist trying to cut fabric while your feet are not under the table edge. I don't know if I'm saying this right, but the table top needs to over hang the storage base about 9" on all sides.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I like my kitchen counters for cutting. They are 36" and I'm 5'2". I always stand when cutting, gives me better leverage. Since you are having it custom made, how about asking the carpenter to make a roll out drawer or shelf unit that fits the leg room area. That way if you did want to sit for a particular task, you could roll out the small unit, then put it back when you were done.
ETA: i agree with eastermarie. You need to make sure there's a toe kick, or deep overhang.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. As mentioned, I do wish I could have a huge cutting table but it will prolly be about 26" width x 37" length x 32" height. Hope my carpenter will be able to construct something decent for my use.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vivientan
Thanks for all your suggestions. As mentioned, I do wish I could have a huge cutting table but it will prolly be about 26" width x 37" length x 32" height. Hope my carpenter will be able to construct something decent for my use.
For that size, take a look at the ready mades .... portable bars, microwave stands, kitchen islands, office storage. Whatever you decide, make sure a large cutting mat will fit.