Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Table

Now that my sewing/guest room is set up and ready to be used, I discovered that I have a little problem. I don't have a cutting table!

I've been sewing and cutting in the dinning room on my dinning table on the first floor. My sewing/quest room is now on the second floor.

What cutting table do you have that you would recommend? Please be aware that I have limited space and the sleeping/sofa couch doesn't help either.

thanks for any recommendation!

Could you store a large piece of plywood under the bed and put it on the bed as a cutting surface when needed?
    Rose Hall

I have one of those folding tables too. the white speckled plastic ones. I got it at Sam's, it has adjustable legs, so you can make it standard countertop height so your back doesn't hurt from standing at the cutting board all day. I also got a piece of thick plywood that I covered in batting and muslin and just laid that on top of the table, so I can use it to iron, or put the cutting mat on it and cut with it. Works great in my limited space.

Blog Entries
    I got mine at JoAnns. It folds up to the size of an ironing board. And that is what I use for my ironing also.

Quote Originally Posted by sew_lulu
    Now that my sewing/guest room is set up and ready to be used, I discovered that I have a little problem. I don't have a cutting table!

I've been sewing and cutting in the dinning room on my dinning table on the first floor. My sewing/quest room is now on the second floor.

What cutting table do you have that you would recommend? Please be aware that I have limited space and the sleeping/sofa couch doesn't help either.

thanks for any recommendation!
    I bought a "Sew Perfect" table. It is exactly what I wanted. The company is very nice to deal with. If you want to read about them, here is the link.

http://www.sewperfecttables.com/sewi...uilt-pro.shtml

Thanks for all the suggestion, keep them coming.

I have a folding drafting table that was my husbands, it is great. Good height and is 40"W x 31 D.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I have a folding drafting table that was my husbands, it is great. Good height and is 40"W x 31 D.
    draft table? didn't think of that!

Blog Entries
    I bought one of the adjustable height folding tables. I would like something a little more studier but this is working fine for now.

You can raise the height of a folding table with PVC pipe cut to about 6 or 8 inches depending on how tall you are. This works for the style of table that has legs on each end, not a card table. Pipe about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter works really well.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The drafting table is a brilliant idea!. Because of the way they tilt you could use it to display a piece of art when company comes. It would be much prettier than most kinds of tables.

Blog Entries
    I had an old 9 drawer dresser, and my DH got a hollow core door for about $25 and glued it on top of the dresser. It makes a GREAT cutting table, and just about the right height!! Very cheap way to do it. Plus you gain all the storage in the drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Holy cow! I have a drafting table... and use my 1951 oven's smooth prep top as a cutting table. lulz I am a dolt.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I had an old 9 drawer dresser, and my DH got a hollow core door for about $25 and glued it on top of the dresser. It makes a GREAT cutting table, and just about the right height!! Very cheap way to do it. Plus you gain all the storage in the drawers.
    Very creative! I love this idea!

I love all the creative ideas. I have a folding cutting table that is on wheels. I can open it up to use it, and then fold the "wings" down and push it against the wall, or behind the sofa for a sofa table! I like not havng to bend over. Saves so much stress on my back! Also good for bastng. The counter height is WONDERFUL!

What a great idea!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Here's a picture of it. Sorry it's such a mess, but that's how I work!! Projects everywhere!! LOL :lol:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks! Here's a picture of it. Sorry it's such a mess, but that's how I work!! Projects everywhere!! LOL :lol:

Thanks for posting the picture. You sure have lot of storage now! It looks great!

Blog Entries
    looks like my sewing room....good idea

my cutting table bought at Jo-Ann's is about 15" X 36" when it is closed. The sides fold down. When it is completely open it probably about 36 X 72. I use it for cutting and basteing. My sewing room is also the guest bedroom. It has a hi-riser bed and a bureau in it.
    It seems to work for me. I have to move this around so I can cut, but it works.
    peel

I have the same cutting table and it is only 59 dollars on sale at Joanns.
    I love this table and use it also for pining my quilt layers togather. I do have to move larger quilts to get it all pined but cannot get on the floor to pin.

I got a foldable 6foot table from Sams club that works great you can get them at 4 and 5 ft too. I use it and then fold it up and put it in the closet. It has come in handy when having parties too.

Blog Entries
    I have two of the 4' tables, right next to each other. One I sew on, the other is for cutting, etc. I'm more on the lazy side, this way I don't have to get up to cut, sew, or iron! lol!!!!! :wink:
    I use the dining table, when quilting on the frame DH made me.
    :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm quite sure that my cutting table is too big for your needs; it is a 4' x 8' piece of 1/2" thick plywood, with the same sized cutting mat on it. I have it raised to a height of 38", which is both low enough to reach almost across the table, but high enough to spare me back pain. Underneath the plywood is a heavy duty shelf unit that I acquired when a book store threw it out. It has open shelves all along both sides, so that I have storage space on either side under the table. The shelf unit, however, is NOT 38" tall so, for support, I've stored some things on top of it, snugged up against the bottom of the plywood (out of sight, but not out of mind). I also have a "safe spot" under there where I store my very, very large acrylic rulers. On either end, I used to have sawhorse "legs", but I kept tripping over them so my son made me two shelf units for end supports, just the right size to store fabric which is still on the bolt (and no more tripping over sawhorse legs!) The shelf units he made have just enough indent on the bottom so that my feet will fit under the edges while I work.

It is perfect for me, but I have it in a basement room that is dedicated to sewing/cutting, so not a space problem.

I have a cutting table I bought at JoAnns, but also have the folding tables. I was teaching teen girls to sew and needed more than the one cutting table. You can get the folding tables with adjustable legs that raise the table to the same height as the cutting table and then folds in half (about 4 inches) when you're done. It takes less space than the cutting table. I can't bend over a dining table or bed without suffering with back pain, so both of those were the best option for me.

Love the dresser/door top idea - lots of storage space. My sewing room needs something like that - actually a room stretcher would help! I don't have much room left - a Janome 11000 Embroidery machine, Janome 4880 sewing machine, Janome Compulock and 7034D sergers, Janome 1000CP cover-stitch machine, Elna serger, 2 Kenmore machines in nice cabinets and several machines in cases. I started rearranging the room to set up my quilting frame (Hinterberg Stretch) and Janome 1600 machine. If the room could be about 10 feet wider and 15 feet longer - I'd be just fine!!! :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast