Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting vs tearing >

cutting vs tearing

cutting vs tearing

Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM

I just made 2 crotched rag rugs out of old sheets and i tore all fabrics. they were all srraight and saved my hands too.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 PM

I was struggling with folding and cutting a large piece of fabric and asked for help here. The advice was to tear and I've never looked back! My spatial skills are poor and I could never figure how to fold and cut. But as regards buying fabric: you're the customer, it's your choice.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 AM

I have never torn my fabric - the first time I saw it done I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach - I may have to rethink especially for backing!!!

I would just ask her politely if you could have yours cut - I dont think it would hurt her feelings any if she is any kind of friend - she may let you know the advantages of both ways. you may learn something to share with the rest of us "cutters"
Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 AM

I agree with a previous poster, simply state "I'll purchase this if you cut it." Why? "I prefer it cut. Thank you."

After a while, she'll know you prefer it cut. It will be known if you do it enough.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Power Poster

tearing always runs along a grain line- so straight- if it leaves an unstraight edge that's because it was not straight- if you had bought it= cut- and took it home-pre=washed you would be here complaining about the wonky piece of fabric they cut you- now that it's been torn on grain it will be straight after you wash it-and it's easy enough to (clean up) the torn edge
Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 AM

I prefer torn as it will tear along grain
Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 AM

I agree with tearing - always straight edges. Now if the manufacturer prints crooked...that's a different story. But if you tear both sides your fabric will be perfectly straight. But if cutting is your preference I would think the shop owner should be accommodating.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 AM

I have to agree with all the tearers. In stores like Joanns you can loose quite a bit of fabric because it is not cut on the grain. Another way to start off evenly is to fold the fabric in half lengthwise, hold salvage ends and work it up and down until the fold on the bottom lies perfectly straight. Then lay it down exactly as is and cut both top and bottom as one. Use your salvage as your guide. Is that about as clear as mud?
Does anyone else use this method?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i would rather it be torn. after being washed, cut one end up wonky, the torn ones will be straighter
I have to agree with you...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaCee
I have to agree with all the tearers. In stores like Joanns you can loose quite a bit of fabric because it is not cut on the grain. Another way to start off evenly is to fold the fabric in half lengthwise, hold salvage ends and work it up and down until the fold on the bottom lies perfectly straight. Then lay it down exactly as is and cut both top and bottom as one. Use your salvage as your guide. Is that about as clear as mud?
Does anyone else use this method?
Yes I always use this method to true up the piece before cutting. If it is really off kilter I will tear the ends to get back to straight. It is amazing how many pieces are cut off kilter even though they look straight!

I always tear my backs to save time and my hands and back!