Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting your own EPP papers? >

Cutting your own EPP papers?

Cutting your own EPP papers?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Cutting your own EPP papers?

I'm experimenting with EPP on a block with Y seams. This has involved making my own papers and I'm going crazy because my ruler is not accurate enough and the tiniest error is magnified! The pieces are kite shaped. Any tips from others who have done this? Do you work off photocopies or draft yourself?
Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 PM

I've had hexes I've photocopied printed off on heavy cardstock at Office Max. Hexies are always 'just off' by their very nature so I compensate when sewing.
I've never had any success drawing shapes, not with compass or graph paper or anything else

My next project is so complicated (La Passacaglia) I've order the pieces from http://www.paperpieces.com/contents/...ri_Quilts.html

I know there are lots of sites with the shapes in pdf to print out.

can you order a small set of kites and then tape two together?
I was thinking about that, 2 jewel shapes taped together to become a heart. That is as far as I got
Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

There is a Go die of the kite pieces. I have used many of the Go dies to cut paper shapes for strip piecing and hand piecing.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Go to youtube search EPP, there is one three..I have forgotten the actual name....hillbilly quilter...I think...anyway she does a tute on making pieced hexie, but I am sure the principal is the same........
Old 08-13-2014, 05:25 PM

I measured/made my own out of old file folders when doing a tumbling blocks pattern years ago. I used a ruler other than a traditional 'quilters' ruler and did not have issues with accuracy. I drew out as many diamonds as would fit on each folder then used a metal ruler and utility knife to cut the paper vs a rotary cutter or scissor.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM

I bought a hexie punch from the craft store. Easy-peasy. Maybe there's a punch in the shape you want??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487559[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hex-punch.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 AM

I either draw mine using the computer or draw by hand. Put as many as you can fit on one sheet of printer paper. Either print directly from the printer or print a master copy and photocopy as needed. Word of caution: some photocopier slightly "resize" objects. So mark your original and use it to make all of your copies and if you have to use a different printer or photocopier check your copies for accuracy before you use them.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Fiskars hex punch when they were half of and when I got it home, it didn't work. Waiting a bit for JAF to restock after the sale.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 AM

I did 1/2 " hexies, by printing hex graph paper onto freezer paper on my printer. So, working off a photo copy of the kite shape, the same should work for the kite shapes, put a bunch on a single sheet of paper and then copy them on your printer.

The biggest problem I had was in getting the sticky side of the hexies on the fabric. Invariably, I had some that were oriented upwards and stuck to the iron. That shouldn't be as big a problem with larger sized pieces.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Well. I typed a whole reply and lost it :-(
Many many thanks for your creative ideas for my creative problem!