Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cuutting mats

I'm looking to purchase a new cutting mat and would like to know what you've proven to be the best. Is there any way to prevent batting and fabric fuzzies from sticking in the grooves of the mat after being used for awhile?

Blog Entries
    i ct batting and fuzzie stuff and felt and flannel on the back or use my old mat

I have newly discovered the Fiskers yellow ones, and love them!
    About the fuzzies they can be removed.

The bestest ones I have ever bought are from the college my DD attends. They are for the drafting students, proffesional grade and double sided! One side is marked, the other is not. They measure 23 x 35" and run $22 or so!
    All the ladies in my quilt group have had me pick them up-awesome price! About twice as thick as the others. The brand is Alvin.
    http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...?cata_id=10562
    this is what they are, but those prices are about double what I pay at the college. If you have a college nearby, you could always check there!
    Happy cutting!

Thanks for that tip -- I'll check it out at the local college.

just call the bookstore at the college and ask for drafting cutting mats.

What an interesting idea. I never would have thought of that.

HOw cool. It's funny how the cost of things can change based on what they are used to.

Slightly cheaper on ebay than the art supply link. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&...All-Categories

I love my Martelli cutting mat. Hard enough to keep from cutting into them and soft enough not to be slippery.

I love my Olfa mats! When I get through cutting I use a damp cloth to clean it and then a sticky lint roller to get all the remaining strings and fuzz out of the cracks. Works great!

Just for grins, I googled drafting cutting mats and found a bunch of different sites. Now this is a cutting mat --
    http://www.cutting-mats.net/selfheal...-mat-1074.html

Blog Entries
    I've only had fiskars and dritz. I don't like the dritz one at all. I never use it. I have a bunch of different fiskars ones and I love those.

A friend clued me in to using the sticky lint roller after each use.
    Its one of my favorite tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    Just for grins, I googled drafting cutting mats and found a bunch of different sites. Now this is a cutting mat --
    http://www.cutting-mats.net/selfheal...-mat-1074.html
    i think that i about broke the keyboard drooling over this mat. wish that i had the space, and the money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by natalieg
    The bestest ones I have ever bought are from the college my DD attends. They are for the drafting students, proffesional grade and double sided! One side is marked, the other is not. They measure 23 x 35" and run $22 or so!
    All the ladies in my quilt group have had me pick them up-awesome price! About twice as thick as the others. The brand is Alvin.
    this is what they are, but those prices are about double what I pay at the college. If you have a college nearby, you could always check there!
    Happy cutting!
    I just recently bought a 24x36 Alvin cutting mat...it is wonderful, I love it. I bought it through their web site and it was a great price compared to quilt shop prices, and much better quality. cutting-mats.net

np3
    Blog Entries
    I hate my June Tailor mat. It is gray and doesn't heal well at all. I have better luck with Olfa.

Blog Entries
    I splurged on an Alvin cutting mat a couple of years ago - actually bought a stock size and they (even though their web site says they won't) cut it in half for me. I am still using the same half without any problems and have the second half in reserve - and at this rate - am not sure I will ever use it! LOVE it!

Blog Entries
    I'll have to check out the college bookstore in Iowa City on Monday :D Thanks for the great tip :D

Blog Entries
    I'm in the market for a new cutting mat and I'm reading the old threads from last year. Do you still love your Alvin mat? I've went thru 2 of the white mats from JoAnn's even using all sides and they are grooved so bad I can't cut a straight line (I know I press really hard when cutting due to weakness in my hand). Thanks in advance for feedback, Joyce

I have an Olfa and love it. Since you can soak them in a tub. The self healing love water. I just put mine on a towel and use a soft brush on it, then rinse it. After it is dried I go over it with one of thos circular discs that they sell to smooth any cutting lines that I may have missed. It looks great

I have the Martelli cutting mat. I've had it for over 5 years. They are 2 sided. One side is yellow and the other side is purple. It also has a grid for squaring up blocks. It has been rolled up and left in the car when it was hot. It went back to lying flat. They are pricey but well worth the $$. When you buy at a quilt show they are cheaper. No fuzz. I make a lot of quilts a year and no "cuts" on the mat.

Blog Entries
    I also have a Martelli. It is worth every penny!!

Quote Originally Posted by natalieg View Post
    Happy cutting!
    I've had an Alvin mat for more than a year, and love it. Didn't know about the college connection and there's a college in my town. Mine came from Hayneedle.com; 30 x 42 inches for $64, free shipping if I remember correctly.

I have an Alvin mat I've been using pretty heavily for about a year and it's still in great shape. I love it! I have the 24 x 36; I am pretty sure I bought mine on Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast