Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: D9P question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Posts
    285
    Blog Entries
    18
    I was wondering if someone would post some pictures of their D9P blocks before they are cut. I'm a little timid about starting one.I had never heard of a D9P until I joined this sight and I think they are so pretty. Thank you Fayz

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    491
    Good question. Anxious to see the responses!!!

  3. #3
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by FayZ
    I was wondering if someone would post some pictures of their D9P blocks before they are cut. I'm a little timid about starting one.I had never heard of a D9P until I joined this sight and I think they are so pretty. Thank you Fayz
    Before cutting, they look just the same as any basic 9P.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by FayZ
    I was wondering if someone would post some pictures of their D9P blocks before they are cut. I'm a little timid about starting one.I had never heard of a D9P until I joined this sight and I think they are so pretty. Thank you Fayz
    Before cutting, they look just the same as any basic 9P.
    I think she is meaning the actual layout to get the right look.

  5. #5
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    This is the pattern I used pics form.
    Hope it helps :)

    They are fun to make.

    http://www.popularpatchwork.com/news/article.asp?a=5294

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,017
    This block is a D9P using 3 colours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Super Member donnaree59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,430
    I"ve just finished piecing one of these using paper pieced hearts for the 4 corners. Here is the link I used to make sure I had them turned the right way so they'd be in an upright position after I'd cut them... Hope this helps.

    [http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html]

  8. #8
    Super Member AliKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,889
    Do a QB search for "D9P" and you will find a tutorial done with pictures.

    ali

  9. #9
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by donnaree59
    I"ve just finished piecing one of these using paper pieced hearts for the 4 corners. Here is the link I used to make sure I had them turned the right way so they'd be in an upright position after I'd cut them... Hope this helps.

    [http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html]
    If you start with each ♥ in the same direction, you can keep them in the same direction when you cut the D9P. Just move the top left 1/4 to the bottom right and vice-versa. No need to twist the blocks around ... it only adds for confusion.

    You can also find lots of D9P inspiration in the Pictures/Gallery link at the bottom of the page.

  10. #10
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    There are some fun tutorials out there that show you how to do it.


    http://www.psiquilt.com/2009/03/disa...ial-super.html

    Perhaps start here.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Posts
    285
    Blog Entries
    18
    Thank you all so much.I will have fun checking them out.I wasn't sure how many colors to use. The hearts look interesting.

  12. #12
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by FayZ
    Thank you all so much.I will have fun checking them out.I wasn't sure how many colors to use. The hearts look interesting.
    You can use as many or as few colours as you want. It really depends on the look you want to achieve. Some come out looking very scrappy. Some show the pattern and are quite stunning.

    A favourite that I've seen is the one done point for a twist to the ordinary. Watch for it in the Gallery!!

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DC metro area
    Posts
    1,249
    someone posted coloring pages for me awhile back to help you figure out how you place your squares.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-122809-1.htm

  14. #14
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by donnaree59
    I"ve just finished piecing one of these using paper pieced hearts for the 4 corners. Here is the link I used to make sure I had them turned the right way so they'd be in an upright position after I'd cut them... Hope this helps.

    [http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html]
    That is a very nice addition to a D9P. Thanks for the link.

  15. #15
    EmsMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    220
    Great info - thanks!

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Posts
    285
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
    This block is a D9P using 3 colours.
    thank you for the picture.really nice colors.

  17. #17
    Junior Member K.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    255
    This is a picture of my D9P before I cut it and the quilt I ended up with...
    Attached Images Attached Images


  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Posts
    285
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by K.P.
    This is a picture of my D9P before I cut it and the quilt I ended up with...
    I love your quilt and the colors. Now I have an idea how to lay it out.Thank you so much.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern North Dakota
    Posts
    117
    Thanks for the question and all of the answers. I had no idea how a D9P was put together. It's so simple.

  20. #20
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by FayZ
    I was wondering if someone would post some pictures of their D9P blocks before they are cut. I'm a little timid about starting one.I had never heard of a D9P until I joined this sight and I think they are so pretty. Thank you Fayz
    Before cutting, they look just the same as any basic 9P.
    I think she is meaning the actual layout to get the right look.

    Since she asked about "before they are cut", what else could it be but a plain ordinary 9 patch?

    When I do one for a mug rug, I use a nice print for the outside corners. Then I try to use something more geometric for the 4 outside center pieces. The very center piece that will end up being cut into 1/4ths is usually a brighter, co-ordinating block, but never a big print.

  21. #21
    Super Member grannypat7925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    5,449
    I use Eleanor Burns Tossed 9 patch pattern. It calls for 9 - 5 inch blocks sewn like a 9 patch but with the same color as the center block on each of them. Then cut in half one direction and then the other.

  22. #22
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Here is a copy of mine. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114352-1.htm

    You can do a lot with these! You can use your focus fabric in the 4 corners, then white squares on the side pieces with a solid color in the center. When it is cut and swapped it looks like sashing and cornerstones. It's pretty cool.

  23. #23
    Senior Member adnil458's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    564
    Blog Entries
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    This is the pattern I used pics form.
    Hope it helps :)

    They are fun to make.

    http://www.popularpatchwork.com/news/article.asp?a=5294
    Make sure to put pictures in the outer 4 corners and should work out. Those blocks don't get cut

  24. #24
    Senior Member PABerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by donnaree59
    I"ve just finished piecing one of these using paper pieced hearts for the 4 corners. Here is the link I used to make sure I had them turned the right way so they'd be in an upright position after I'd cut them... Hope this helps.

    [http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html]
    :thumbup:

  25. #25
    Member kyrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    74
    I mark the 9-patch using a large ruler and marking the center at the outer edges then I turn the ruler and line up to cut with a rotary cutter. After cutting both directions, I turn 2 opposite new blocks 180 deg. to forn a D9P.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.