Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
D9P Sliced and Diced >

D9P Sliced and Diced

D9P Sliced and Diced

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM

very nice, love the colors. For a lap quilt I would just back and bind it as is.....bind in a nice darker color as a frame. At our guild the other night the speaker talked alot about "no borders" on quilts. It was Paula Barnes with Bonnie Blue Quilts, they offer Civil War patterns and kits. Some of her quilts are stunning without borders. Yours would fall in that catagory, good job!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Now we have a new pattern to add to our list!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM

i like the slice and dice...keep goig. :D
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM

Love your version much better than the first. You are sew very brave to cut all that fab. Wow I am impressed.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Totally impressed. You should have naming rights to a new design - - Will it be "D9P Slice & Dice", "Disappearing 9-Patch on Steriods", ??? Love your finished look and, like most others who have commented, I would not add sashing. Since you seem to have more fabric left from the FQ's, I would add a solid border and then maybe a randomly cut scrappy border (ie. different lengths) from your left over fabric. Look forward to seeing your final product and would also like to see other pictures of the steps involved in your process. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I wasn't planning to share this until it was complete, but I'm so happy with it I want others to see it too!

This is the project on my wall (finally found an old plastic tablecloth and tacked it to the wall; dh wasn't happy. lol). I thought I was going to do a D9P which I expected to be pretty fast and easy to put together. I cut the fabric from fat quarters in 8 inch strips because I wanted to preserve an 8 inch run in a few of the fabrics (ended up being unnecessary and I have a lot of waste, but live and learn!). When I laid out the D9P, it was okay, but I wasn't wowed!

Soooooo, I sewed my D9P blocks rights sides together and cut point to point in both directions. Yippee! Now I love it, but no quilt police allowed. Everything doesn't line up perfectly, but it's busy enough to not be noticable.

Now for my dilemma: I expected to do a small lap quilt or throw. I have completed the block in the upper left corner of the photo and it's 14 1/2 inches square, so I have a 56 inch complete design area without borders. Now I'm thinking of adding borders and/or some sashing....or maybe turning these blocks on point and adding filler squares to make it bigger. Just curious what others think would be the best way to go.
I absolutely love your quilt. The colors, designs, everything.
It is so great!! some borders might be nice, but in my opinion, if you add sashing or turn the blocks on point with filler squares, I think you will loose the great look of this quilt. I would either make more blocks and possibly add borders if you want it bigger, but I wouldn't add sashing or filler blocks.
Have a Great Day!
Marcia
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM

I love your new and improved version of the D9P. I also will have to give it a shot. I would put borders on it though...many times, a quilt could work without a border but since I quilt my own quilt tops, and end up pulling on the edges a lot as I manipulate it through my regular sewing machine, I like to use the border as my last chance to square up the quilt.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 AM

It sort of shows the difference between a nice quilt and art. Very lovely. Would really like to see the pictures of how it was done.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM

I love it. Instead of Disappearing 9 patch, you should call it Disappearing Diamonds!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:53 AM

I believe, all you do is make your D9P blocks, like her first pick, them cut each block catty corner, both ways (like an X, okay), then, you put your quilt together that way, like she did in her second pic. Not hard at all, just another step & a little more time consuming. But like someone else posted, the difference between a lovely quilt & a piece of artwork