Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dating a treadle cabinet? >

Dating a treadle cabinet?

Dating a treadle cabinet?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM

I have a beautiful 1914 Singer treadle and wonder about the value of it and the cabinet. I think the cabinet is worth more than the machine since it has 3 drawers rather than the usual 2. My LQS offered to service my serger in exchange for it (value $125.) but I think the machine and cabinet are worth more. Can't post a pix as the snow is blocking the shed where it's stored. Does anyone have a clue as to guidelines for potential value? Thank you
Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM

I don't have much guidance but have seen them on ebay and craig's list for $75 to $400 (depending on condition). You could always take it to an appraiser????
Old 01-12-2010, 02:35 PM

I recently bought a 1916 Singer treadle with a 4 drawer (only 2 on each side) at an estate sale for $40. It was dirty and needed oil/lube but otherwise in good shape, complete with attachments (no idea what they're for). It sews a beautiful stitch. It is a model 66. I felt the price was cheap but then I love all old Singers and think they are usually underpriced.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Check out the local antique store.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

It's worth whatever you can sell it for, and that varies considerably. I bought two treadle machines last year from craigslist for $50 and $45. One is a model 66 from 1911 and the other is a model 27. I passed up others in the same price range. I also saw one in an antique store for $395 in worse condition, and some of the ones on craigslist are asking ridiculous prices. The condition and type of decals influences the value, as does your geographic location, but there's still a very wide price range. A lot of these machines were made, and they didn't wear out quickly, so they're not that rare. I may be wrong, but I don't think the extra drawers in the cabinet will influence the price.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM

I'm sure it's worth more than that.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

I have never paid more than $50 for a complete treadle and machine no matter what it is or who makes it. Just because its old does not mean its worth major bucks.

On Singer machines that cabinet style was probably produced in the millions so the rarity is not even a factor. I have 8 or 10 of them here in fair to good condition. The Drawing room cabinets are the ones that bring the money and were not all that popular because of the initial cost. Remember the price of sewing machines have not changed that much they have always been pricey. Back in the 20's the average machine in a nice cabinet was about half of the cost of a Model T Ford!! Parlor cabinets would be next in line for being pricey but I can still find nice ones with machines for around $100.

I do not give anything over $15 to $20 for a used head especially a model 27 (Millions of those floating around also) The only thing that would make me pay more is if the decals and finish were in like new condition. Then I would drop some money on it.

I just bought out an old sewing machine repair shop/dealer a few weeks ago that was closed in the early 1940's. There are lots of NOS (new old stock) parts and machines (still in the original boxes/creates) in the lot along with close to 30 complete treadles and tons of manuals and sales catalogs for several different makers of machines. I am hoping I can fit it all in my 40 foot car hauler and truck with out making two trips.

The cost for everything....$500

Billy
Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have never paid more than $50 for a complete treadle and machine no matter what it is or who makes it. Just because its old does not mean its worth major bucks.

On Singer machines that cabinet style was probably produced in the millions so the rarity is not even a factor. I have 8 or 10 of them here in fair to good condition. The Drawing room cabinets are the ones that bring the money and were not all that popular because of the initial cost. Remember the price of sewing machines have not changed that much they have always been pricey. Back in the 20's the average machine in a nice cabinet was about half of the cost of a Model T Ford!! Parlor cabinets would be next in line for being pricey but I can still find nice ones with machines for around $100.

I do not give anything over $15 to $20 for a used head especially a model 27 (Millions of those floating around also) The only thing that would make me pay more is if the decals and finish were in like new condition. Then I would drop some money on it.

I just bought out an old sewing machine repair shop/dealer a few weeks ago that was closed in the early 1940's. There are lots of NOS (new old stock) parts and machines (still in the original boxes/creates) in the lot along with close to 30 complete treadles and tons of manuals and sales catalogs for several different makers of machines. I am hoping I can fit it all in my 40 foot car hauler and truck with out making two trips.

The cost for everything....$500

Billy
Billy, how far do you live from Minnesota?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Billy I am so jealous I could spit.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jojo47
Billy, how far do you live from Minnesota?
A loooonnnnngggggg ways away from there LOL!!

I am having to drive over 10 hours one way to get them. Depending an how long it will take me to load everything I will just turn around and head back to the house. Which is an average day road trip for me anyway. But if it looks to be a bigger job that I am thinking I will stay over at my buddies house with his family. (they are the ones that found this for me and live next door to the lady :-D :-D )

But the mid west needs to thaw out for me to get to it.......

Billy