Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dcoumenting your quilt(s) >

Dcoumenting your quilt(s)

Dcoumenting your quilt(s)

Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Thank you for posting some great info! I only wish I had started keeping a journal for my quilts a long time ago. Don't even have pictures of all of them. Well at least I will from now on. I just started keeping a journal in January, in a word document (including pictures and details about the work in progress) to document my quilts and back it up regularly. If it weren't for this board I never would have thought to do this.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM

I think you are talking about two entirely different things here. Documenting your quilt is not at all the same as determining the value of your quilt and, while both are wise things to do, they should not be confused nor combined. (The sites listed cover doucmentation only.)

Quilt Documentation is a historical record of the provenance of the piece. The antique dealers of the future will not care how much it cost you to make nor that you used Andover fabrics (they care only what type of materials were used, e.g., cotton fabric, wool batting, poly thread, etc).

Quilt Valuation is a financial record of the piece, along with an appraisal if you think it necessary. The insurance carriers and IRS agents of today will not care if it was made for Cousin Freddy's 80th birthday nor that you used Benartex fabrics. Keep the valuation info with your other financial records, safe from fire and flood...and tornado.

Quilt Construction Data, a third record, is the actual materials used and construction details of each piece. This would be where you'd record the fabrics, threads, keep samples and selvages, pattern details, etc., whatever you desire. That information would be of interest only to you, the maker, and perhaps some other quilt nuts here on the board. :lol:

All are records worth keeping if you are so inclined, but they serve vastly different purposes. Only you can decide if you need/want to keep any or all of them.