Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-09-2014, 03:38 AM

I bought my first really good machine (Janome 8200) about 18 months ago, and I bought it from a dealer. The sales demonstration was so thorough, that when I came back for the training class, there was only one new thing I learned that wasn't covered in the sales demo. I would highly recommend going to a dealer if at all possible. I bought the machine, then played with it for a couple of weeks before going back for training so I had specific "how to" questions that were specific to my practices.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 AM

If you are an experienced sewist, don't hesitate to buy a boxed machine. Most will have a manual for the most used features. That dealer is feeding you BS. The same model, (check the numbers carefully) should be the same every where. I would NOT buy from newspaper ads that say high school overstock and such stuff as that because the schools do not teach home ec any more so that is BS too. Buy from Amazon, QVC, Best Buy or a reputable source and you should be fine. I have purchased machines from Ebay and had good luck too, but read the descriptions carefully and ask questions.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
There is a Junkie 2010 on ….
There are about 4 brands of machines that I would never call junkie, provided they are over $400…(not the beginner's Walmart variety): Juki, Brother, BabyLock and Bernina.

Juki's are workhorses, and many of the clothing items we wear were sewn on a Juki.
I respect your opinion, but it surprises me!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Buy online. I bought my Brother 1500 online and it has outlasted several TOL Pfaffs purchased from a dealer!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
There are about 4 brands of machines that I would never call junkie, provided they are over $400…(not the beginner's Walmart variety): Juki, Brother, BabyLock and Bernina.

Juki's are workhorses, and many of the clothing items we wear were sewn on a Juki.
I respect your opinion, but it surprises me!
I'm pretty sure it was a case of auto correct gone awry...
Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 AM

I would check the model number very carefully. Often times companies will put together packages or variations of a product for a high volume seller such as QVC, HSN, Amazon, Walmart and such. They are built to the specifications of the seller to be sold at a certain price point. When a high volume seller is selling thousands and thousands of machines it is worth the effort to the manufacturer to make some modifications to have the large volume sale.

On the flip side of that some machines can't be sold on line because the manufacturer won't allow it. Janome 8900qcp is an example of this strategy. At one time it was allowed but not at the present time.

It's very possible the small dealer wouldn't be able to match the large volume seller's price because the small dealer probably paid more wholesale for the machine than the large volume seller. It's at that point the buyer has to ask themselves what is more important, a low price or supporting a local merchant. I recently bought a machine and didn't purchase it from the local merchant. I would have preferred to but they gave me such poor customer service when I was shopping I didn't want to do business with them.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 AM

Ridiculous comment from the salesperson! A machine model determines the quality of the machine....cheaper machines are sold at Walmart etc. However a brand name/model numbered machine is the same whether it is sold online or at a storefront. I have purchased numerous machines online, from dealers who have website sales, all were "boxed" machines (aren't they all boxed).....true there are some plastic, cheap machines out there, but you know the model you want, so shop around. If you don't need the instruction, purchasing online from Amazon is fine...the warranty comes with a machine too, whether you purchase it from a retailer on amazon or at the store.
Ken's sells through Amazon, and Allbrands does too.....I would discount the information from the sales person.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:39 AM

If you believe that ....lets talk about some swamp land i have for sale !!!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 AM

I was advised by my repair man not to buy online as apparantly some of the machines on line are 'grey' machines this means that they are not necessarily recommended by the manaufacturer for sale in your countly but could be ones intended for import to the far east. This means that a reputable dealer will not uphold the warrantly and will not service or repair your machine under warrantly. Not sure about US but in UK although you buy from Amazan it is actually from some of the companies who sell on Amazon Marketplace and not necessarily Amazon. The way he explained it to me was like buying a car overseas and then shipping it to the UK as the UK dealers will not service or cover any repairs under warranty as the warranty is classed as invalid. I am not sure if this will apply to you guys in the US but as you are talkign about spending a lot of money on a machine it may be worth considering.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM

bearisgray...it is weird that companies do that but they do you can get the same exact model but it is made different for different stores that is why you get it cheaper somewhere else ...working in manufacturing to figure out these things