Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealing with templates--advice please >

Dealing with templates--advice please

Dealing with templates--advice please

Old 05-15-2021, 07:31 PM

Default Dealing with templates--advice please

I am making a quilt that requires I make and use templates. What do you all use to make them and what is the best way to get accurate cuts when using them? Do you mark the edge of the template with something so that it is easier to see under your ruler? How do you keep if from sliding around on your fabric when cutting? How do you keep from cutting off a sliver of the template with your cutter? Thank you in advance!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

You have identified some of the problems with using templates with rotary cutters. Templates used to used with scissors in piecing. If the templates are all straight edge cuts, you need to find rigid materials to make them. Some people have found that places like a hardware store will cut shapes from acrylic for you. I have not had any luck in my area finding anyone to do that. You can use cereal box cardboard to make templates but you have to watch you don’t trim the edge while rotary cutting along your ruler. You can use a pencil to trace the shape on the wrong side of your fabric following the template but that is time consuming to then rotary cut on the lines. Maybe someone else has more suggestions for you.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:16 PM

I use heat-resistant Templar. Most of the time I trace around the template on the back side of the fabric, then cut out 1/4" from that line. I don't use the Templar with my rotary cutter.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:50 AM

Default Templates

Originally Posted by pahega View Post
I am making a quilt that requires I to make and use templates. What do you all use to make them and what is the best way to get accurate cuts when using them? Do you mark the edge of the template with something so that it is easier to see under your ruler? How do you keep if from sliding around on your fabric when cutting? How do you keep from cutting off a sliver of the template with your cutter? Thank you in advance!
I make a copy of the template and use a glue stick to glue it to either throw away cutting boards or the mylar sheets you get at box stores or online. Now you can cut it out. If you need to you can remove the paper copy. On the other side, I use a product called Grippy Non-stick Spray. A very light spray is all you need but do this outside. It makes a great sticky surface. If you don't want that buy Handi Quilters Handi Grip. It is clear sandpaper that is wonderful. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:44 AM

It all depends on how many I need to make. There's always the dilemma of "do I add the seam allowance" or not, too.

I have used heavy plastic from Joann's and my local quilt shop to make templates. I try to buy the plastic that can be ironed. I draw around the shapes so that I have a seam line and then I cut approximately (by eye) 1/4" away using either a rotary cutter or scissors. I have also drawn the shape on freezer paper and cut approximately 1/4" away.

If I'm going to need to make a lot of the same shape, I usually look for a commercially made template - Marti Michell's come to mind.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:21 AM

Interesting! I thought 3D printing might be applied to this matter, but I've never used one. I use (obsolete) xerox sheets that were used to make overhead transparencies to make my templates. They're clear, so you can see the fabric. Perfect for fussy cuts because I can trace key parts of the design with a permanent marker, which I clean off with rubbing alcohol.
As for cutting, I trace around the template with a fine point marker and use a straight edge ruler when straight cutting, then scissors for curves.

Last edited by aashley333; 05-16-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:24 AM

I've used old x-rays and several years ago at our local hardware store they had packages of 2 sheets of what I call template materials for .50 so I bought a couple packages, but wish I would have bought more. For marking, I use a permanent fine line marker, for slippage, I use the medical tape, it seems to work fine for me. I've used a hole punch to put holes in the templates so I can put pins in it to hold so I can cut with scissors. You could also have it on the fabric and mark the fabric then cut. You could also put the template under a ruler and use it that way.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:08 AM

I have done a few quilts with templates. I have used clear plastic(hard to see under the ruler), paper(easy to cut), card stock (easier to handle than the paper but still cuts easily), at times converted them in EQ into paper piecing.or used a plastic template material a bit better than the clear - it has a pale blue grid on it and can be seen through the ruler.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-67005...crafts&sr=1-17

My go to solution is always paper piecing (and since I have EQ, it is an easy solution) but that is not for everyone. Try either the blue grid template or card stock. When I cut a template, I always cut several of each shape just in case I trim one!!
Old 05-16-2021, 07:07 AM

You can buy those flexible cutting boards at the dollar store
to make templates. So much cheaper.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:46 AM

I have used the plastic from gallon milk jugs as template material. Usually you can find one or two sides of the jug that are almost flat, that will work well if your template doesn't have to be too large.