Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Dear Jane block-of-the-month

  1. #1
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    I've been looking online at some of the shops that offer Dear Jane block-of-the-month clubs. Has anyone done one of these, and can anyone recommend a site? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Super Member bebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3,068
    Hey Minda,
    Let's start our own Dear Jane club online!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member QuiltingTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    695
    Hey thats a good idea. :lol:

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NMX,TEX
    Posts
    6
    :P I'll join in but How do we find out about it here? On this note?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5
    I've been wanting to do a dear jane. what would the logistics be?

  6. #6
    Senior Member liwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    318
    I think a Dear Jane BOM would be fun!! If you do decide to start one would you please include me?

    Thanks,
    Linda

  7. #7
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    I'm sorry but I really don't want to be in charge of a swap. I do eventually want to do a Dear Jane quilt, but right now I have too many WIPs to start a new project.

  8. #8
    Junior Member imaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    243
    I do a Dear Jane block of the month with Stitchin Heaven. www.stitchinheaven.com

    They package everything very well and give you a fabric chart showing where the fabrics they give you get used and the fabrics are very nice and true reproductions.


  9. #9
    Cordelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland/D.C.
    Posts
    678
    Wow, I went to that website and looked at the block of the months there and that Dear Jane looks really hard. :shock:

    Very pretty.

    Given my center block in the round robin, you can guess I'm really liking the kaleidoscope quilts, especially the kaleidoscope dreams one starting in August.

    I'm thinking of signing up for that one myself!

    But, it looks really, really hard. :?:

  10. #10
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by liwilliams
    I think a Dear Jane BOM would be fun!! If you do decide to start one would you please include me?

    Thanks,
    Linda
    Hi I am working on Dear Jane. I am just doing it here and there between other quilts. I am on the 4th row (D) and connecting the rows as I go. I will do about 4 rows and quilt it in sections. I do that with most quilts so I can take it with me when I go someplace without hauling around the whole thing. Then when the sections are done, I put right sides together and sew the front, and then slip stitch the backing. I am hand stitching the whole thing. Piecing and then hand quilting when I am done. I will piece the borders, quilt them in sections and add them to the finished center. Then you can get the hand quilting easily. Here are the first 2 rows.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  11. #11
    Senior Member liwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    318
    Wow Rhueluna those are awesome!! You are really do a great job on them. I see where it's a great idea to do them in between your others quilts and to do them as a "to go" project.

  12. #12
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by liwilliams
    Wow Rhueluna those are awesome!! You are really do a great job on them. I see where it's a great idea to do them in between your others quilts and to do them as a "to go" project.
    Thank you very much. They are far from the perfect paper pieced ones, but I feel they are more authentic to making them like Jane did. And that, for some reason, is important to me. I want to get close to hers.

  13. #13
    Senior Member liwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    318
    I love that quilt in your avatar too. (And the doggie) Dogs are such good friends.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by liwilliams
    I love that quilt in your avatar too. (And the doggie) Dogs are such good friends.
    The quilt in my avatar is the one I entered in the Paducah, Kentucky show. I was only a runner up but feel privilaged that I even got in. Thousands don't even get in. The doggy is my son's and I love her. She was saved on the last day of her stay at the pound. She was starving and lost all her puppies but fed some newborn puppies from another dog that died during birth. Thats what saved her for a few more days. She is the best doggy in the world and has had a tough time before she was saved. They found her eating ants and starving in AZ. Now she is fat and happy. :) Here is a pic of the quilt on my avatar.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  15. #15
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by rhueluna
    Hi I am working on Dear Jane. I am just doing it here and there between other quilts. I am on the 4th row (D) and connecting the rows as I go. I will do about 4 rows and quilt it in sections. I do that with most quilts so I can take it with me when I go someplace without hauling around the whole thing. Then when the sections are done, I put right sides together and sew the front, and then slip stitch the backing. I am hand stitching the whole thing. Piecing and then hand quilting when I am done. I will piece the borders, quilt them in sections and add them to the finished center. Then you can get the hand quilting easily. Here are the first 2 rows.
    Do you remember what line of fabric you used for the last block in row 2? I can't find anything I like for that block. Thanks.

  16. #16
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Quote Originally Posted by rhueluna
    Hi I am working on Dear Jane. I am just doing it here and there between other quilts. I am on the 4th row (D) and connecting the rows as I go. I will do about 4 rows and quilt it in sections. I do that with most quilts so I can take it with me when I go someplace without hauling around the whole thing. Then when the sections are done, I put right sides together and sew the front, and then slip stitch the backing. I am hand stitching the whole thing. Piecing and then hand quilting when I am done. I will piece the borders, quilt them in sections and add them to the finished center. Then you can get the hand quilting easily. Here are the first 2 rows.
    Do you remember what line of fabric you used for the last block in row 2? I can't find anything I like for that block. Thanks.
    Hi Actually I looked everywhere to find fabric like that too. I ended up cutting cross marks in the brown fabric and covered it over a black and white stripe. I think thats what Jane did too if you look closely at the picture of her quilt. The pattern book doesn't show the complete pattern as Jane did it, and I make my own when I see that. You could print my block, make cuts a bit smaller than you see the holes and then tuck the fabric in and reverse applique them onto the stripe. I don't explain very well. Hope you understand what I mean. Otherwise you will have to choose a fabric of choice like everyone else does. I didn't accept that and went the Jane route. :) I'm a toughy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    Thanks, Rhueluna. I'm also trying to match my blocks as closely to Jane's as I can. I've found that many of the patterns don't match her blocks exactly. She does a lot of reverse applique. Your blocks are beautiful.

  18. #18
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Thanks, Rhueluna. I'm also trying to match my blocks as closely to Jane's as I can. I've found that many of the patterns don't match her blocks exactly. She does a lot of reverse applique. Your blocks are beautiful.
    thank you. I'd love to see yours.

  19. #19
    Senior Member liwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    318
    Rhueluna - thanks for posting a good picture of your quilt. It is just wonderful! All that detail and work. And the quilting for each square is awesome, it really sets off the picture inside it. Are the blocks your designs? Or was it a kit, or from a book?

  20. #20
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by liwilliams
    Rhueluna - thanks for posting a good picture of your quilt. It is just wonderful! All that detail and work. And the quilting for each square is awesome, it really sets off the picture inside it. Are the blocks your designs? Or was it a kit, or from a book?
    Hi, Since this is in the Dear Jane blocks, I guess you mean the Dear Jane as far as I have gotten. I bought the book, changed some of the books patterns to look like the actual Dear Jane quilt.

    If you are talking about the large applique quilt in my avatar, it is my own designs and I drew all the patterns myself. They resemble old folk art type quilts from the civil war era. I am considering making the patterns for sale, but I know it would be a lot of work. I have some already saved but in separate blocks. I wasn't sure it would be worth all the work unless I had enough takers in it.

    Thanks for the nice comments. I haven't quilted any of the dear Jane, so I am pretty sure you mean "42 Windows". :)

  21. #21
    Senior Member liwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    318
    Yes I did mean the quilt in the avatar. (Sorry, I wasn't clear.) That's really cool that you designed all the blocks yourself. It makes it even more special.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhueluna

    Thanks for the nice comments. I haven't quilted any of the dear Jane, so I am pretty sure you mean "42 Windows". :)

  22. #22
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by liwilliams
    Yes I did mean the quilt in the avatar. (Sorry, I wasn't clear.) That's really cool that you designed all the blocks yourself. It makes it even more special.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhueluna

    Thanks for the nice comments. I haven't quilted any of the dear Jane, so I am pretty sure you mean "42 Windows". :)
    Thank you. I am glad you appreciate all that work. I actually drew those designs on freezer paper, cut them out and ironed them onto the fabric of choice, cut around the paper adding seam allowances and snipping the curves. Then appliqueing them onto the background. If you wanted to create your own, just draw to your best ability and do the same thing. You will be amazed at how wonderful they come out. Even childrens drawings work as they do the primative thing without even being taught. Or some have used color books to get their designs. I just happen to draw mine and am also an artist and paint. I got the ideas from quilts from the past in books that show similar designs if you look them up. There are some books with patterns similar you could use also.

  23. #23
    Senior Member liwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    318
    Okay I can do that. It would be a great project - one that would last several years for me. I understand your instructions as I've done that type of applique before. For me I would use my own designs - and I have several grandchildren and all my kids are artists that could draw some of the blocks. What a family quilt that would be.

  24. #24
    Senior Member rhueluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, OREGON
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by liwilliams
    Okay I can do that. It would be a great project - one that would last several years for me. I understand your instructions as I've done that type of applique before. For me I would use my own designs - and I have several grandchildren and all my kids are artists that could draw some of the blocks. What a family quilt that would be.
    Now, that sounds very interesting. I sure hope you post pictures when you get going. I bet you have already looked at some of their art that would make great blocks.

  25. #25
    Super Member DOTTYMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England Alton Towers
    Posts
    6,641
    Blog Entries
    1
    is this a new Dear Jane thread or the one which began in Jan 2010.??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.