Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
decorative stitches with a walking foot >

decorative stitches with a walking foot

decorative stitches with a walking foot

Old 08-15-2020, 05:27 PM

Thank you for your advice everyone.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I've used my walking foot for decorative stitches and I've also gone backwards with it. I have an Elna 720. I think it depends on your machine. Remember to make sure your throat plate is the one with the slot rather than the single hole. You may have to adjust the stitch length and width to make some stitches appear as you wish. I made a sample "quilt" that I refer to when I think I want to use a decorative stitch. The serpentine stitch is particularly nice for machine quilting. And when I stitch a binding down to the front of a quilt, the floral stitch can be very pretty. Give it a try and don't be afraid to experiment.
Ditto But with a Janome MC 6600. The decorative stitches make really nice ... And very secure! Bindings.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Every repairman I have used has told me not to sew in reverse with a walking foot. I would check with a rep tech to be sure about the newer machines. I don't see how the reverse button on a machine can control the add on walking foot. It is designed to feed forward.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Terricat View Post
I don't do a LOT of decorative stitches, I have the Janome MC6600, but ..and .. I do, I ..put the walking foot down to be sure to hold both layers of fabric together while it's doing the decorative stitches. I think it works much better than the regular foot.
Thank you for letting me know about the walking foot and its ability to do decorative stitches as I also have a Janome MC6600. I am hoping to take some lessons on my machine as soon as the LQS starts up again.