Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Decorator Fabric Ideas >

Decorator Fabric Ideas

Decorator Fabric Ideas

Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Default Decorator Fabric Ideas

I accidentally ordered these fabrics online, thinking they were quilting fabric. (one of the perils of ordering online, I guess).

What would you use these decorator fabrics for? I need some ideas....

The only think I can come up with are bags, grocery bags. The prints are so large. They are 100% cotton, so I washed them to preshrink them.

Thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1087.jpeg  
Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 AM

They are pretty! Are the washable? If so, why not use them in a quilt?? I have used several decorator fabrics in quilts. If you just don't like them for quilts, what about totes, accessory zipper bags or aprons??
Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 AM

I have made an entire quilt with those..
Old 04-12-2015, 11:41 AM

It's sad that you don't have the fabrics you were expecting but I suspect you may not have read the description thoroughly. I buy lots of fabric online but remind myself to double check everything before clicking "buy".
I messed up recently when ordering 1 1/5 yds of 6 fabrics. When they arrived, I found that my finger didn't get the amounts right so I was short on two of them. I had to chg my plans for those two.
Im sure you'll think of something good to make with yours.

Pat
Old 04-12-2015, 11:45 AM

I agree ... clearly they're 100% cotton and washable, so why not use them? Is it the size of the print that you don't like? Some websites you just can't tell how large the print is. The better ones show a ruler, some tell the size of the reprint which is somewhat helpful, and others don't tell you anything at all - and to make matters worse, it seems that they will take a picture of larger prints from further away to get all the print, but when the thumnail picture is the same size as all the others, you just can't tell. I've learned to just not shop at sites where I can't decipher the size of the print.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I've made quilts with them. once I made a whole quilt using the same type of fabrics
that were scotchguarded. I loved that quilt, one of my favorites and it didn't get dirty!!!
why isn't all quilting fabrics scotchguarded??
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

If they are washable, use them for a quilt otherwise I like to make those bags for grocery shopping.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Large prints are great for fussy cutting. I used a chintz fabric in that manner and it was so pretty. They would be nice as backing on lap size or wall quilts. I would use them like quilting fabric. Some of the prettiest designs are in decorator fabrics, alas...sometimes they are heavy, heavy barkcloth or similar.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 PM

Make a quilt using random big squares or rectangles with a sashing that would pull them all together for the intended room....simple and very fast, but still classy....then do some great quilting to set off the fabrics...the fabrics are probably a bit looser weave, so will ravel easier.....use a smaller stitch length.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:38 PM

I have purchased fabrics online too, when they arrive the design/prints are much larger than I expected, now I only buy if they state what size fabric is scanned on their website.