Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Definition of Muslin >

Definition of Muslin

Definition of Muslin

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Kas

I love southernbelle muslin, but can't find it around here anymore. I have to look farther north. At Joann's, I saw Kona muslin, different from Kona Cotton. The muslin was thicker than Roclon, but softer than the Kona Cotton. It was 7.99/yard.

I love muslin as my white. It is so soft and cuddly when washed. I use Warm &White batting which is denser and the backing colors don't show through.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM

The good muslin is at Walmart (sorry but true..lol)and it is called ROC-ION which is Rockland Industries out of Baltimore, Md. It is 90" 100% cotton Wide permanent Press fabric. It has very little shrinkage. I know this because I don't wash my fabrics before sewing. I have never had any problem with this muslin. It's great for quilts. I get it for $4.77 a yard. It holds up wonderfully, I kid you not..it has been kid tested by me...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
The good muslin is at Walmart (sorry but true..lol)and it is called ROC-ION which is Rockland Industries out of Baltimore, Md. It is 90" 100% cotton Wide permanent Press fabric. It has very little shrinkage. I know this because I don't wash my fabrics before sewing. I have never had any problem with this muslin. It's great for quilts. I get it for $4.77 a yard. It holds up wonderfully, I kid you not..it has been kid tested by me...
I love that stuff. I can not find a muslin at Joann's that I like. I went an hour away to get it a week ago got 5 yards. I will have to go back and get more because that walmart is losing its fabric and then I will have no walmarts :( with fab anymore.
I have used the walmart muslin in quilting, clothing and all kinds of different projects. I made a night gown and its the softest thing.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
ok - so there is nothing special about it? My pattern could just have well listed x yards of solid beige and I would have bought Kona solid beige and called it a day?

The quilt I have in mind is an antique reproduction - so muslin gives a more authentic look?
if you want it to look like a real antique stick with the muslin. Most LQS sell a high quality muslin. I usually buy what's left on the bolt.
If you don't care, use whatever pleases you.