Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Degrees of Perfection >

Degrees of Perfection

Degrees of Perfection

Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 PM

As a quilting newby, I am starting to read and work through the Hargraves' book, Quilter's Academy, Vol. 1. In the first 2-3 lessons, they talk the need to straighten your fabric, the wisdom of tearing vs. cutting fabric, and so forth. The couple of other books I've read don't even mention this level of perfection.

Do those of you who are experienced quilters find that taking these steps is necessary to make nice looking quilts?

Sushi
Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Yes, if your fabrics aren't straightened out, and you cut across the WOF you can get v's in the center of the cuts.
You will find that taking the time to so these type of steps will make your cutting and piecing more accurate.
The only thing I don't do is tear my fabric. I don't like the stretched and raggy ends from the tearing. :D:D:D
Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 PM
np3
Power Poster

I would think every quilting book should mention this!! Very important steps.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM

If you worry more about your fold being straight it will solve alot of headaches. I didn't know that for the longest time..I thought if my selveges were even & together I was good...couldn't understand what I was doing wrong..I just about quit all together. Its those little lightbulb moments that make it all worthwhile. =)

I dont find it necessary but then I dont make heirloom quilts. It depends on the style of quilting you do. Tearing it does give you a true grain but I paper piece alot, do applique and other techniques inwhich grain is not an issue.

I will straighten my fabric if it has an obvious pattern but most times I just go for it. The other time I am conscious of true grain is for borders.
Power Poster

I do scrapy quilts and I do not go there. I cut and sew. You need to decide what works for you. If you are paying big bucks and doing a very involved pattern then you want to do all necessary steps to have it as good as you can make it.:)
bj

Squaring, definitely. If you don't, you might end up with strips that are wonky. They can have a little V at the middle fold, which makes them hard to work with for borders or sashing (they aren't straight). As for cutting vs tearing, I do both. If I'm needing a length of fabric strip, I usually tear it a little wider than I need and then trim the edges. If I'm trying to get rid of extra fabric from backing before I start quilting, I usually just make a notch and tear that across. I find that easier than trying to trim it with scissors or rotary.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM

I hate when the dreaded V cut happens or in some cases its a W. So I always straighten my fabrics when doing any strip peicing. Paper piecing.. thats differnent I just cut.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 PM

I think this is important especially if you have bought bargain fabrics. Also, don't forget to prewash them and use some spray starch when ironing them.