Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
denim rag quilt >

denim rag quilt

denim rag quilt

Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 PM

I will be starting a denim rag quilt with homespun fabrics on the front. Will I need to put batting in this. I am making a lap quilt out of it? Thanks for any info. I was just wondering if it would be too heavy if I add batting, but don't want it to be wimpy either.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

it is up to you if you want batting- i always use batting- but i like them nice and heavy/warm- some people just use a front and back- some people use a layer of muslin- some a very thin (low loft) batting- and some (like me) warm & natural---
it is a personal choice-
maybe start with something small- make a 12" block out of denim/homespuns- stick a piece of batting in it- quilt a cross on it- stitch 1/2" around the outside- clip it- wash and dry it- see how you like it- if you think it's too much- well then you know- if you like it ...continue on- the block can be added to a pillow or something to go with the quilt later. or try 4 (practice) blocks with different layers/ no middle/ muslin middle/batting middle/ flannel middle- and make a sampler to refer to later- each will fray differently- and have a different feel- and you will have it to compare to and see what you want to do for different projects.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

should have added- an extra (middle layer) of something does add nice body to the frayed edges- especially a layer of muslin or flannel- the frays can be rather (whimpy) with only 2 layers/top and bottom---but it probably depends on if your homespuns are thin or not
Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I would at least use flannel, if not batting.