Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Depressed >

Depressed

Depressed

Old 06-22-2023, 02:17 PM

Default Depressed

With only 36" more to sew to finish piecing a quilt, I ran out of bobbin thread.

The bobbin winder kept breaking the thread so I switched threads...

Then I dropped the bobbin case... twice... (it bounces when you do that)

Now the sewing is doing nothing but loopy loops on the top and bottom. No amount of fiddling with the bobbin case helps...

It's going to the repair shop tomorrow.

Heavy sigh...

Old 06-22-2023, 02:37 PM

I have bought extra bobbin cases for my long arm in case I drop them. Is there a spring in the case. Perhaps that fell out too one time when you dropped it. Or it could have gotten bent a bit. Look in your manual to see if there is mention of a spring inside the bobbin case and check that it is there.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:02 PM

Oh, the pain of these kinds of incidents. GRRRRR . A lesson in patience. My solution when this kind of thing happens is to clean up the sewing room/space until I can smile again. Sounds like you have a plan.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:20 AM

Hand in there, I hope it's something small and quickly and easily fixable. We feel your pain!!
Old 06-23-2023, 03:30 AM

We all have days like that, it is so frustrating! I sewed a unit in a block wrong on Wednesday. Ripped it out and put it back in. WRONG. Thankfully, the 3rd time was the charm, but I was done for the day at that point.

Are you sewing the binding on with a regular sewing machine? If that's the case, snarls on the bottom are almost always caused by a threading problem on the top. Clip the thread at the spool, pull it out through the needle, and rethread, making sure that your presser foot is up when threading.

If you are putting it on with a LA, I don't have any suggestions other than to say that I hope things go more smoothly today!
Old 06-23-2023, 03:46 AM

So sorry to hear about that.....it is frustrating to say the least.
Tomorrow is a new day and sure things will be better. Hang in there
Old 06-23-2023, 03:50 AM

Yes, we all have days like this. I accidently threw away my best seam ripper when cleaning up my space and had to deal with an old inferrior one that wouldn't cut hot butter for the rest of the afternoon. Then I realized to check the trash and there it was! I placed an order on Amazon for a 3 pack of Clover seam rippers, so now if I misplace mine I'll always have another good one. The sun will shine again!
Old 06-23-2023, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

According to Juki Junkies machines should have pressure foot down when threading and the thread should be flossed through the tension. This is opposite of what I have been taught by most all dealers/teachers.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:41 AM

I keep extra bobbin cases as my sewing room is in the basement with concrete floors, plus I'm super clumbsy. I think so one out there sells a gadget to repair your bobbin case back to round, thinks it's Jamie ???? Hope you can have your bobbin case repaired or buy another one as a backup. I think I have 4 or 5 laying around. Now they've gotten so expensive so I'm glad I ordered them when I did.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:51 AM

The mere fact that you can tell us the sorry tale with good humour is far from depressing. These are the moments that endear us to sewing. Yes, it's true for they allow us to appreciate the good times even more. You could hear from a hundred of us with an "it could be worse" tale but we all deal with our own setbacks. And now, your new quilt has a story of its own.