Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Board >

Design Board

Design Board

Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I like the foam board ideas too!!! Light weight and easily attached sound like the way to go :D:D:D
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by elizajo
My dream design wall:

corkboard tiles (so I could thumb tack inspiration pictures, too), covered with thick flannel, surrounded by picture molding so it looks finished. Then above the design wall, near the ceiling, I would hang a decorative curtain rod with gorgeous finials. Use clips on the rings to hang a display quilt that can be moved out of the way when the design board is in use.
Sounds like a great idea.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a sewing room or a spare wall so I use the floor. Not ideal, but it works for me.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Thank you for all the great ideas for a design board. A site was forwarded to me which I would like to share about design boards. It has other great quilting links too.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/b..._a_design_wall
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

I made one w/a piece of pink styrofoam type insulation board from Lowe's. I nailed it to my wall w/big headed nails. Then I covered it in cotton quilt batting. You can kind of see it in my avatar photo on the right. It's been up for about 4 years now~love it! still haven't changed the batting or anything.... XO Sandra
Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Here's links to a photo of mine, and in the comments section is specifics of how I made it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2726109619/
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cumberlandquiltchick
I made one w/a piece of pink styrofoam type insulation board from Lowe's. I nailed it to my wall w/big headed nails. Then I covered it in cotton quilt batting. You can kind of see it in my avatar photo on the right. It's been up for about 4 years now~love it! still haven't changed the batting or anything.... XO Sandra
Here's a couple of pics w/things on my wall. I'll look and see what that board is called. It's almost like a big, huge BOOGIE BOARD to take to the beach! lol You know how those floats feel. Well, go to Lowe's and get a big sheet of that type of styrofoam board and cover it with quilt batting and tack it on the wall. very simple. (I guess you could use flannel too, but I used cotton batting) These things are just sticking to it, no pins.... You can see some strings from all the years of use, but I use it every day and it's held up pretty good. Good luck! Have fun! Sandra
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64742.jpe   attachment-64743.jpe  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels
My design wall is very much like everyone else', except I was lucky enought to 'bump' into a bunch of old wooden yard sticks form a sewing store that went out of business .... must have been in the 70's... because the phone number is something like Mayflower 7253...( I'd have to look at them to tell you what they really say..) When's the last time anyone heard a phone number like that? Last time for me was in the late 60's in Detroit Michigan. I use the yard sticks as a frame. since I make so many scrap quilts, it helps me with size. .. Before that, I made a couple too long , but not wide enough, think of a super long twiggy not quite twin.
I just love the yardstick idea! I always see pretty colored ones at the store = I think I'll get a bunch in all different colors to frame my board. Pretty AND practical!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Banned

Everyone seems to use something different for the top--fleece, batting, flannel. What seems to work best for everyone?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM

Here is a suggestion
http://www.cherylannsdesignwall.com/