Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Design Board

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post, I must say I really enjoy this site. Does anyone have a design wall idea for a small space. I don't have a sewing room only a 6x4 corner to work in.

I have seen people who use a small cork note board 2ft X 3ft and cover it with flannel. Welcome to the board.

Before I had the room, I laid my blocks on my bed on a flannel sheet. I rolled it up with the blocks on it when I needed to use the bed and rolled it back out when I wanted to work on them again. Now I just have a piece of flannel tack to a wall and they stick on there just fine. I don't have a dedicated space for a design wall either, but this works for me! I'm sure if you did a search at the top of the page, there's some good suggestions as we all don't have sewing studios!!
    Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!

Cotton fabric will stick to felt very easily - but the trick is to get a vinyl table cloth and use the BACK of it :-) You can hang the table cloth on the wall and you have an INSTANT fabric board :-)

What a good idea! Thank you.

Blog Entries
    have fun with your design board

Welcome to the board from Montana.I use two styrafome art boards, rapped with felt. Works for me, on larger project, I use my bed. Theresse

I have a small room also, i bought at the dollar store a plastic table cloth with the flannel back and stapled it to my wall, it works great, fabric sticks to it, it even holds a whole quilt top so i can stand back and look at it. I'm a very very beginner.

Welcome from Ireland

welcome from maine

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the quiltingboard. Many have used the blue foam insulation sheets from Lowes drapped with a flannel sheet or batting.

Welcome to the board. I use a hallway and hang a flannel backed table cloth, only a couple of bucks from the dollar store.

A tension rod and a flannel backed vinyl table cloth work well. I have my tension rod between a door frame with the table cloth pinned to the rod. Very portable.

Quote Originally Posted by geckogirl
    Cotton fabric will stick to felt very easily - but the trick is to get a vinyl table cloth and use the BACK of it :-) You can hang the table cloth on the wall and you have an INSTANT fabric board :-)
    I use tablecloth vinyl bought by the yard and use hook and loop tape to hang it when needed. I stapled the hook side of the tape to the front edge of some bookcases and sewed the loop side to the back/vinyl side of the "fabric" and can take it down whenever I need to access the bookshelves or company comes over.

One time for a design board I used felt and put grommets at the top. Then I screwed in c-cup hooks and was then able to hang the board when I needed it and took it down and rolled it up when not in use.

Hello and welcome. Glad to have you here.

Hi. I used a 1/4 or 1/2 inch hard poster board and covered it with flannel and set it on a small painters easel. It works great for me. I just wanted one that I could put a sample of the block I was working on at the time that I cold refer to for placement of the pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have seen a roller shade type so you can roll it out of the way, and if you have a door available you could hang flannel on one side. Be creative, you are a quilter! It is in our blood. lol

Blog Entries
    I use my living room floor.

I just use a large flannel backed tablecloth pinned to the wall (in my case the hallway so it's always up and available) and it works very well for me. The big plus was it only cost 5.95 on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Hello and welcome. Glad to have you here.
    Welcome from Maryland!

Blog Entries
    I bought a folding cutting board used for cutting and laying out fabric patterns for clothes. I wrapped it in flannel and used binding clips to hold it on. If you don't like it folding up, you can go hog wild and clip 2 x 4's or molding strips to the cutting board and it will help hold it open.

I've also used the back of the flannel tablecloth bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat R
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post, I must say I really enjoy this site. Does anyone have a design wall idea for a small space. I don't have a sewing room only a 6x4 corner to work in.
    Hi Pat,

Welcome to this quilting board, it is a great site and lots of great quilters with lots to share.

Here is a link with several ideas.

Tool Time Tuesday - Design Wall Tutorial
    http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/sear...all%20tutorial

Have a Great Quilty Day!

Pam M