Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design or pattern help: key fob >

Design or pattern help: key fob

Design or pattern help: key fob

Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Design or pattern help: key fob

I'm wanting to make a quilted key fob that will hook onto the beach bags that I've made for the adult daughters of mine. I've found the key fob tutes that make a loop and then have the metal part that goes on the ends which holds the keys.

I want something like that but want the loop to be able to hook around the bag/purse strap so that the keys won't fall into the bottom of the bag.

I've thought about putting the metal pare on ONE end of the quilted fob and velcro-ing the other end...but thought it might look messy.

Any ideas????? My brain is hurting.

Thanks for any of your help,
Dray
Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM

I attach a strip using 1" wide fabric about 12" long, turning 1/4 on each edge lengthwise then folding over and stitching (literally folding 1" binding and sewing length wise, make it about 8-10" long sew a lobster catch on one end, catch the other end in a seam, and I can use the catch to hook my keys on, just grab the fabric and it pulls my keys to the top of my bag. This also stops them falling out anywhere.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 AM

notmorecraft, thanks for response. I've a couple of questions:

Are your keys caught in the lobster claw's hook AND catching the bag strap? (As in keys and strap BOTH in the claw? OR are the keys hooked on something else?

What size lobster claw are you using?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM

oh....notmorecraft...are you saying that you sew the fob into the bag itself with a lobster claw on the other end...then using the claw to catch your keys? wow...that sounds great! They way they could use their own keychain and then just hook and unhook when they use the bag.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM

I made what I call my purse "handcuff" to secure my bag when I'm in the car or on the back of a chair in a restaurant, but the concept would work for what you need. I take an 18" long piece of 1" wide strapping (the kind you use for tote bag handles) and fold it so that the two loose ends meet in the middle. I put a ring inside each end loop, then stitch up both sides and across the strap leaving enough room for the ring to move freely. Then I stitch where the two ends meet in the center. If I want to fancy it up, I will either stitch some type of fabric or ribbon the length of the strap. Then I take small carabiner clips and put them on the rings on either end. The fun thing is that you can now get carabiner clips in different shapes, like circles, hearts, stars, etc. Hook one end to your keys and one end to the strap of your bag. I tried to add a picture, but for some reason, it won't let me.

Last edited by mckwilter; 07-18-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks mckwilte

I like your idea as well. That way my girls could use it on more than one bag.