Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design-a-quilt machine problems >

design-a-quilt machine problems

design-a-quilt machine problems

Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post

omg! After reading the link to amazon in the other thread, I googled Dan Puckett (quilt, not wrestler) and got an eyeful about the quilt he destroyed by throwing bleach on it at the International Quilt Show in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...lt-2122468.php

I'd pass on the machine: it's no longer being made nor supported.

Eeeeek! After more research, be aware that the machines have a tendency to catch fire.

Opps! I posted this in the "other" thread. But copied it here after reading about the lawsuit and the problems with the machine catching on fire.

Owners: please be careful!

how awful of him
Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Again thanks too all who have posted back to me. Taking machine into the sewing center next week to have it checked out. Have tried everything, but the glide thread, will also get the repair man to show me what I've been doing wrong . If it's me. LOL!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Let us know the results!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Default machine in shop

Hi everyone, put machine (DAQ) in sewing center shop an hour away from home. Repair man said the timing is off and that he works on several of these machine in the area. YEAH!!!! So I feel like maybe my thought of this being a bad buy will change when I go get it. He said when he calls to come get it he will have it set up to show me everything I need to know about it. He also told me that they are a high speed industrial machine design and hard working if you know how to take care of them. They also had a coupon on tune ups on machines...second YEAH!!!!! Also want everyone to know I love this board for all the help and information ya'll provide us newbies. THANKS TO ALL YA'LLs KNOWLEDGE! HEATHER
Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful! Sounds like it may work out well for you after all.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Heather, you'll have to tell us if he gets it working for you! My mom bought one of these machines in 2001 or 2002 and we could never get it to work. I bet it hasn't even been used for 30 minutes. She got too ill to and we never did anything about it. I have it and I had one guy look at it but he said to put it on craigslist and just start over. It would be a long drive but if I could get it to work and learn how to take care of it it would be worth it.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:33 PM

If you can get yourself to the point of using your machine, Heather, please keep us posted. Nearly 20 years ago I bought a quilting machine set up on a 14' frame, and taught myself and all my sisters, how to use a quilting machine. Then, 6 years or so ago, the DH bought me a brand new Gammill Classic set up on a 14' frame; big bucks (cost more than our first house) that my whole family enjoys using--there is a definite learning curve involved in using a quilting machine. Just be patient, practice, cuss when you have to, just don't give up. And, by the way, I sold my old quilting set-up for the same thing I paid for it some 15 years earlier.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM

I quilt on a Nolting 18" with IS2K but years ago I used to quilt on a Nustyle 228. I have an owner's manual and a manual of the complete breakdown of the machine head of the Nustyle 228 if anyone needs it, I would be happy to copy and send it. I know they are quite difficult to come by. Some of the older machines are workhorses and actually easy to maintain; my Nustyle was.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:26 AM

I have machine out of shop, guessing I am moving machine to fast for the bottom thread is not neat looking. Or is it the tension? When I do curves the bottom thread is not in the fabric and looks to be pulling top thread tight out on bottom. When I went to pick up machine the man who worked on it and said he would show me everything I needed to know about wasn't at work. So all I got shown was how to thread it right, which I was doing wrong. Please tell me all I need to do is slow down to get it right. Lady didn't even plug it up just put sample in machine and turned the wheel with her hand to show me the stitches were good now.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

If the bottom thread is pulling tight like you describe your top tension is too loose. (or your bobbin tension is too tight)

Try tightening your top. Here is a You Tube video from Jamie Wallen that will help you a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM