Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall form? >

Design wall form?

Design wall form?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:40 PM

I used 2" thick insulation and covered it with W&N batting. Had flannel on my old design wall, and it just didn't hold my blocks well. W&N really grabs them. I used 2" thick insulation so that I could push pins all the way in and they didn't stick out from the design wall.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Foam board here too. It lightweight so I can move it from room to room (I have 2 rooms I use for sewing/quilting) and you can pin into it if you want to.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:26 PM

I was trying to figure out why people were using a "base" at all, then I realized y'all are pushing pins into it to hold your blocks up.

I tacked some W&N right onto my wall. I don't use pins at all, the W&N is very sticky and holds everything, even entire rows, without falling off. No base needed.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I was trying to figure out why people were using a "base" at all, then I realized y'all are pushing pins into it to hold your blocks up.

I tacked some W&N right onto my wall. I don't use pins at all, the W&N is very sticky and holds everything, even entire rows, without falling off. No base needed.
Totally agree .... with the fleece I can put large blocks on without them falling off.
Even have put a queen quilt on fully assembled.
Though I still like a few pins for security instead of ending up with a crumpled mess.
My FWS and PC were on the wall all throughout the llllllong process without pins.

My abandoned DJ blocks have all stayed put for well over a year!!
Though the pin-ability has been helpful, as I have continued to leave notes and candidate border pics for ideas when I get back to DJ. It WILL be a 2017 finish!

Another suggestion ..... use corroplast (corrugated plastic).
DJ got her own personal design wall using corroplast covered with white fleece.
I have mine permanently on the wall.
For someone with space issues, these could be slid very easily behind furniture when not in use.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I use a large $3.00 clearance flannel backed tablecloth thumb tacked to the wall. It's been up for years and still works well. I suppose a person could use it over the foam boards as well, and it would cost much less than buying flannel or batting to cover the boards.

Cari
Like Cari, I used the flannel backed tablecloths as well. I have no room to have a free-standing design wall so I just use the tablecloths (2 sewn together) hung from my shower curtain rod when I need it. Needless to say, I've gotten decent at visualizing things flat on my cutting table! But when I need a better visualization, I hang the tablecloths with pant/skirt hangers on the shower curtain rod and go from there.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:10 PM

I bought mine. It hangs on the wall with some nails through grommets at the top.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 AM

I don't have much room, so I bought two sheets of foam core board, like you would use for posters. Taped them together and covered them with flannel. It is light enough to hold onto the wall with string and a nail. It ended up being about 24" x 36". When I need a larger surface, I use a double bed (my sewing room doubles as a guest room).
Old 02-21-2017, 04:53 AM

I hung a flannel backed tablecloth.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 AM

I sheet of insulation works beautifully. You can push pins into it to hold blocks in place and it is light weight. I even use mine to layer and spray baste small quilts or projects. I inherited mine from my sister-in-law 12 years ago and it was not new then but it is still if fine condition and always has something hanging on it! Worth the investment. I do keep a clothes brush near by to give it a little brush down now and again to remove the little threads. Enjoy your new design wall.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:31 AM

I put a king sized flannel bed sheet on my old-fashioned quilt frame. Things were falling off so I used basting spray. Worked really well. Then I washed the sheet. The little threads did not come off. The basting spray held on tightly. Now I have a beautiful sheet with lots of little colorful threads all over it.