Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall issues >

Design wall issues

Design wall issues

Old 11-21-2022, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
Yup I do that too but I use squares of paper with row and column numbers. I pin every block in the upper left corner away from the seam line. Then I can rearrange blocks but always know what the original orientation was.
when I read my post, I see I said scraps of fabric....but I really do use scraps of paper! sometimes my fingers type what they want and don't listen to my brain!
Old 11-21-2022, 01:11 PM

I have made a ton of these design boards - I layout my block on it and take to the iron and nothing moves. Bee In My Bonnet: Mini Design Board Tutorial... (beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com)
Old 11-21-2022, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
What I do is take the 1st 2 blocks, put them facing together and just pin them, then take the next 2 and pin, add to the top of the pile. They don't have to be pinned neatly, just pinned to stay together, then once at the machine, I'll pin them correctly and sew. I also don't cut between each set of blocks until I'm done sewing so they stay in the same order, then I cut the thread between. I then put them back up on the design wall making sure they're in the correct order and start taking them off once again pinning as I did before. So far I've kept them in order. I know this seems time consuming but so is frogging seams so which would you rather do?
Same here, but I use the little clips to clip the seam line and then pin at my table, then sew. If the pattern is complicated, I also number each block (like cells in an excel file) and use a small brass safety pin to pin the piece of paper to the center of the block.

Everyone finds what works for them!
Old 11-21-2022, 03:48 PM

I always pin on the right side. Stack the pieces next to my machine and then sew.

Even if I flip the unit to sew, I keep the pin on the right hand side.

After the first units are sewn, I move onto the next set. Pin on the right side and sew.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
What I do is take the 1st 2 blocks, put them facing together and just pin them, then take the next 2 and pin, add to the top of the pile. They don't have to be pinned neatly, just pinned to stay together, then once at the machine, I'll pin them correctly and sew. I also don't cut between each set of blocks until I'm done sewing so they stay in the same order, then I cut the thread between. I then put them back up on the design wall making sure they're in the correct order and start taking them off once again pinning as I did before. So far I've kept them in order. I know this seems time consuming but so is frogging seams so which would you rather do?
I do the same as Snooze. I also take pics of the blocks on the design wall so I can double check that I've sewn them together correctly.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:17 AM

cashs mom, I find taking a photo helps a lot cause when I'm looking at the photo, I then can see a mistake if there is one but funny how I can't see it when looking at the design wall. I also use my alphabet pins to keep the rows in check.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I guess all of us have to find a way that works for us!

I lay some of the blocks on a big cutting mat when I take them down off the design wall. Then I carry the whole mat to the sewing machine to sew them together. Then I can go back and take down another section of blocks.... until the whole top is sewn.
This is my method, too. I don't have a design wall and my ironing board is down the hall in the laundry room. Sometimes I will also take a picture on my phone so I can go back and check the overall layout (I've done whole-quilt and partial photos - both can be helpful in keeping track of things).